A walk in the woods...

gregg dudley

My buddy told me that he had been seeing game fairly regularly on a piece of public property not far from the house so I decided to take my new camera and see what I could see. I was expecting to see some deer and turkeys, but I was hoping I might get a glimpse of a bear since they frequent the property as well.

Monday after work I parked at the designated parking area and eased down a grass cut road with my new camera in hand. I had come straight from work and was still in my shirt, pants and dress shoes, sans tie. I had barely made it 300 yards down the road when I heard sticks breaking in the woods to my right. I stopped and listened, but didn't hear anything more. I was just about to start walking again when I heard more sticks breaking. I said to myself, "That's a bear!"

I eased off of the grass road and tried to peer through the thick growth near the road. I could see that it opened up within about ten yards. I found a game trail and slipped into the woods. After it thinned out I stopped and looked around slowly. It took me a second to realize that I was looking at a bear 30 yards away. He was looking at me too! I eased the camera up and snapped 5 quick pictures before he departed the premises.

Unfortunately, the camera was on auto focus and there was a lot of junk between us, but I still got a little memento of the encounter.

nikontestrun093.jpg

Hoss

Great find. Not everyday you get a chance to photograph one of those. Nice job.

Hoss

rip18

That is special. Thanks for taking us on your walk!

gregg dudley

Thanks folks! I had only had the camera (Nikon D5000) one day when I took this. It is the first camera that I have owned that was not simply point and shoot. I have a lot to learn.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Good capture, glad it wasn't a sow with cubs in the area. Those slick dress shoes would have made a hasty retreat interesting.:rofl:

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice capture!