More Portraits (Need Opinions)

GAranger1403

This is a young lady I did some senior portraits for last week, wondering what my Woodys peers think? Opinions, tips, criticisms welcome!

Attachments

• DSC_0036redux.jpg
    DSC_0036redux.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0054 irredux.jpg
    DSC_0054 irredux.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_0111 irredux.jpg
    DSC_0111 irredux.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0111 v2redux.jpg
    DSC_0111 v2redux.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 213

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Very nice work Jason

rip18

I think she ought to be well-pleased with those! Well done.

Crickett

Little Lady
Awesome portraits Jason! I think she will be more than pleased w/ those! You nailed the lighting....IMO!:cool:

Smokey

Most excellent work sir!!
#2 and #3 really stand out to me.

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice ones sir!

jbdial1515

I think they are composed well, and really like the post processing. But, I think they are a bit under exposed. Otherwise, I am sure she was thrilled about them.

JasonF

Nice Jason!! Great model and scene. I prefer the last one over the others and have to agree with jbdial in reguards to the exposure. What was your lighting set-up here?

Lee Woodie

I like them all you did the young Lady a fine job and I'm sure she will be pleased with them

GAranger1403

Nice Jason!! Great model and scene. I prefer the last one over the others and have to agree with jbdial in reguards to the exposure. What was your lighting set-up here?

Single SB 600 on an umbrella with a silver reflector for some fill. Shot a few "soft box" style thru the umbrella but most were with the reflective backing. Thanks for all the input guys, thats why I posted them!

JasonF

Thanks Jason!
Since your looking for feedback, I think these would have benifited a bit more if you would have brought the umbrella in closer thus giving your subject more light...particularly in #1. Also, I can see #1 was shot at 1/250 but given the time of day these were shot, a lower shutter speed would have brought more ambient light into the background/scene which in turn, would have helped it's exposure.
Hope this helps man, and all-in-all I think these are great and am sure she is going to be thrilled to see them!

GAranger1403

Thanks JF, gotta shot some more this afternoon, I'll try some different stuff with lighting and exposure!

BriarPatch99

Jason
You asked for thoughts and help, so here goes:
Underexposed. Since you're doing Portraits, the first thing you should see in a portrait is the person(face), the first thing you see is the bright top. The eye is always drawn to the brightest object first. Tone down the top and up the exposure on the face. Nice modeling light( the nose shadow) provides depth in the face.

Underexposed. Again the brightest object(s) is the chest area. The lighting is rather flat, notice the lack of nose shadow(very very small) needs to be closer to #1 shadow.

#3 & #4
Slightly underexposed. Lighting is almost flat again, watch for modeling in the face(nose shadow, very tiny). Main light is too high(note chin shadow), lower main would have provided modeling on the face. Much better control of light as far as bright/darker areas.

I hope you don't feel that I've been to harsh with my comments, being that this is my first post, believe it or not, I signed up just to comment on your photos. I will be joining you guys with some outdoor photos soon. Outdoor is an area that I need help on myself!
You do some very nice Outdoor photos!

Jim K

GAranger1403

Not harsh at all, criticism, tips, opinions, thanks for 'em all.