? about night shots

quinn

I've been wanting to try some Atlanta nitetime skyline shots.Any help steering me in the right direction would be very helpful and apprisated!(sp).Thanks!::;

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
tripod tripod tripod !!! use a self timer to keep the shutter shake down. try shutter lengths from 1 to 20 seconds and try your fstop from f18 - f22 . it puts the little stars on the lights, a trick drb taught me !!!

Hoss

Haven't really tried those, but JasonF and DRB have done some great ones. You might want to do some searches to see what threads with photos you can find and then take a look at the EXIF data for some guidance.

Hoss

quinn

Thanks ya'll!I did it once accidently...but how do you check the EXIF.

rip18

Sounds like great advice. Find a spot without an overly bright light, but a pleasing view. Put the camera on a tripod. Release the shutter with a remote or with a timer if possible. Adjust exposure as needed to get the "look" you are after.

With what you do with rails, I can't wait to see what you do with a nighttime skyline!

I downloaded IExif (http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html). Once you get it installed, you just right click on an image & select "View Exif/GPS/IPSTC with IExif", and if the info is there, it is displayed.

JasonF

Can't really add to whats alread been said. I definately recomend Opanda (it's a free download).
I guess the most important thing that hasn't already been discussed it to experiment with different settings. If the stars are out, you may be able to capture them with a higher ISO (800+), and adjust your f-stop between f/8-f/22. Otherwise, set up camp somewhere and have fun with it. Here are 2 of my favorites taken moments apart:

D90, 17mm, f/11, 15 seconds, ISO 200
p270652197-4.jpg

D90, 21mm, f/11, 30 seconds, ISO 200
p22992750-4.jpg

Smokey

Best advise I can give for night shots is to do it at night........

Slim Chance

Love the shots shown. I got good results with a steam belching tower at Georgia Power using my camera in Aperture priority at f2.8 and letting the camera set the shutter speed. All were on a tripod. I say grab your gear and experiment.