A question about fly down time

fredw

Retired Moderator
My son and I met up at our lease in Oglethorpe County yesterday morning in an effort to get him his first turkey. My job was to be the designated caller.

At first light we had three gobblers within hearing distance sounding off but all three were some distance away. At our second setup we had a gobbler responding but he wasn't moving towards us. Thirty plus gobbles and no movement. We moved a hundred yards or so toward the bird and called again. No response at all. Thinking that we had spooked the bird, we decided to move to another spot. We walked another hundred yards and spooked the gobbler. He was still in the tree.....after 9 a.m.

I haven't run into a tom who "sleeps late" (remember my limited experience). Any thoughts on this?

I did call a very good bird in for my son at our third setup. Under forty yards, a shot, and no bird. But, I think we may have a new turkey hunter in the making.

Twiggbuster

The only bird I killed this year(4/17) was still in the tree gobbling after 9am. I was able to move thru a ditch to get to him but I really thought he was on the ground. He flew down as soon as I set up close to him.
My buddy heard one gobbling on a powerline around 10 Sat and went to him. Bumped him out of the tree on his way to him. Like Gatorb said, all the cover and limited sight might be the answer.

Trizey

It could also be because of predators, pressure or loss of interest.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Fred I have had a couple over the years that wouldn't fly down and went from tree to tree looking for the hen........:crazy: Things can be crazy sometimes ya know...........

242outdoors

Banned
alot of times during late season they will simply sit in the tree until a hen comes close enough. you may have also spooked him walking up and he flew back up...sometimes they'll fly up to spot whatever they heard moving and then fly back down when they feel safe.