Need help picking a Camera??

Coon23

I need help picking a good Camera. I'm still a novice when it comes to cameras but would like to start with a real good digital camera like the Nikon's/Cannons. My main goal is to find a camera that takes good action shots since I will mainly use it for my kids in there sporting activities, also use it for family pics and such. So I need to be sure I can change the lenses out. I was thinking of the Nikon D series(D60, 70, etc....). Was wondering what yall thought about which camera would be best for me? Don't want to get to technical since I don't plan on being a pro. Any help would be appreciated?
Thanks,
Randy

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
There are probably many cameras out there that would fit your needs/wants, check out this sticky and it may help you narrow the field .... good luck

Hoss

Yep the sticky at the top is a good starting place. Then set a budget and look for what meets your needs in that budget.

Hoss

rip18

You say you want to change lenses. That pretty much narrows it to DSLR bodies.

You say you want to take action shots. That also pretty much narrows it to DSLR bodies just because of the relatively quick shutter actuation once you press the shutter release.

You've said you don't want to go "pro"; that MIGHT rule out the pro level DSLR bodies. But that still leaves a heap of options.

I'd say start off with an entry level Nikon or Canon digital body. Hard to go wrong with either brand. Exactly which body and which lenses you choose will depend on how much you want to spend and exactly what you want to shoot. Without a little more info, about all we can do is point you to the sticky at the top of the forum.

If you provide a little more info and ask a few more specific questions, we might can be of more help.

Best of luck with your choices...

hunter rich

Nikon D3000 can get the package deal (camera body and lens plus a zoom lens and decent carry bag) for around $600.00. it is a very user friendly DSLR for a beginner. just my .02

BriarPatch99

Buy the best lens you can afford, the body is easy to upgrade later.

You'd be surprised what you can do with an entry level camera and a really good lens.

The best body out there is not worth much if it does not have the lens to provide the "Goods".

Several of the Sports Illustrated covers and models were shot with entry level cameras, but really good lens.

Jim K

snake bite

I bought my wife the Nikon D60 for Christmas year before last and we love it. It takes GREAT pictures and is not to complicated to operate. It has more functions than the average guy needs so if you wanted to go further than taking photo's on auto, it is capable. It will also take 3 pics per second which makes it a great camera for catching action shots of the kids playing ball!

Browtine

Buy the best lens you can afford, the body is easy to upgrade later.

You'd be surprised what you can do with an entry level camera and a really good lens.

The best body out there is not worth much if it does not have the lens to provide the "Goods".

Several of the Sports Illustrated covers and models were shot with entry level cameras, but really good lens.

Jim K

I agree 100%. Even entry level (Canon Rebel or Nikon D3000/D5000 series) bodies deliver excellent image quality with good glass. Go to Flickr and look at some of the awesome photostreams some of these fresh minded, creative teenage photographers are rocking out even with a rebel/D series and just the kit lens!

I think all the options available now are so good that there are truly two areas to spend extra time and money on that will yield better end results for most folks than spending more on camera bodies...

#1- Learn basic photography! If you learn the basics and how to take control of even the most basic of DSLR bodies in manual mode you won't believe what kind of image quality you can squeeze out of them. Exposure is probably one of the most critical areas to focus on. Even with the best bodies enough over or under exposure doesn't leave you with much to work with in post processing.

In short though, you should strive to accomplish as much as you can toward the photo you want when you mash the button. The less you have to do in post processing, the less image degradation you may see in post. An example would be a moderately underexposed photo. Underexposing with digital can introduce a ton of digital "noise" to your file. There are options for reducing it but most of them degrade overall quality to some extent by using some form of blur to reduce/remove the noise.

#2- Buy the best lenses you can. It doesn't have to be the top of the line pro glass. Find review sites that evaluate and rate glass by the manufacturer of your camera and read the reviews on the "consumer" grade lenses. You'd be surprised by how many of the considerably cheaper priced consumer lenses deliver near pro grade performance.

I'll include a site for the Canon guys since I shoot Canon and have one bookmarked, but I'm sure there's probably one for Nikon as well as most others if you search them out...

I've used some of the same lenses that this guy reviewed and have to say that his observations matched with my experiences with the same glass. Seems to be fairly unbiased reviews...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

My point is... there is a LOT to squeeze out of the basic entry level bodies. If you're not a "pro" and don't want to spend "pro" dollars, spend some of your "consumer" dollars on learning the basics (Creativity is simply variations on the basics!!!) and careful selection of the better consumer grade lenses.

In all honesty, a base model digital rebel with the $90 Canon "nifty fifty" 1.8 would be a hard set-up to beat in the hands of someone who knows the basics. I've seen photos on Flickr by "kids" with that very combo that simply blow away 90% of what I've done so far with the Mk II and a 24-70 L... Sad as that is, it's true. :D

aubie

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I finally narrowed it down to the Nikon d3000 and the d5000. I personally couldn't justify spending the extra money for the d5000 when the 3000 met all my needs, but the D5000 is great camera IMO. To reiterate what others have said, put your $ in your lenses. I would recommend an the 18-200 mm lens if you can afford it. It will be your workhorse/do all lens. If not the 18-55 will probably be fine for you. Also, I got mine from http://www.keh.com They are based out of Atlanta and sell new and used cameras, lenses, etc. There are some great deals to be had and they have a 14 day return policy. They rate their equipment: New, Like New, Like New-, Excellent+, Excellent, Bargain, Ugly. I purchased a Camera that was Excellent+ and you would never have known it was new. I bought the D3000 w/18-55mm lens for $369. I also picked up the 55-200mm lens as well. If I had to do over again, I would have spent a little more on the 18-200 lens. Just my .02, I'm still a newbie as well but feel free to pm me with any questions. So far I have been very pleased w/the camera.

gregg dudley

I just got the D5000 for my birthday with the 18-55 mm lens (kit)and the 70 (I think)-300mm lens. I love it! I really need to get a lens that works the middle ground well though.