A good place for both pier and surf fishing?

fishinknots

I am planning on a semi-annual fishing trip at the end of the month with two other good buddies. We used to go to gulf coast since we were all in alabama then. Now I moved to Atlanta plus the oil spill over at gulf, we are considering doing this summer's trip at the GA coast.

We like to do 1 day of surf fishing and 1 day of pier fishing, plus 1 day of whichever depending on the fishing. I read through some of the posts here and came up with "Tybee Island". Is it a good place?

We don't have boats and will not hire charters this time. If you could share a little info of a good spot, I'd really appreciate it. Not your honey hole, just a name of the place.....

Thanks a lot.

Brad

oldenred

tybee is ok..... i fish it often. i would recommend SSI though. the pier there rocks, many a doormat flounder caught there. hit up Capt Richie Long, he will be sure to lead you in the right direction

Nugefan

Amelia Island and stay at Amelia By The Sea .....:cool:

jfinch

Nugefan,

You got any pointers for Amelia Island? We are going there instead of Fort Morgan this year.

Thanks,

Capt. Richie Lott

JI Pier and JI beach just east of the pier... Massive drop off there, lots of sharks and a lot of bait washes through the channel right there.

Nugefan

Nugefan,

You got any pointers for Amelia Island? We are going there instead of Fort Morgan this year.

Thanks,

gotta stay at Amelia by the Sea , they have their own pier .... good cobia , angel fish , shark , and some great whitting off the beach in the surf ...;)

Capt. Richie Lott

gotta stay at Amelia by the Sea , they have their own pier .... good cobia , angel fish , shark , and some great whitting off the beach in the surf ...;)

Yep, I agree on Amelia by the Sea. Good little set up.. Also good up around the fort.

jfinch

Staying at Amelia Island Plantation. Have read some info about the Fort. Thought I would try the peir there maybe the beach.

fishinknots

Thanks Capt. RL for the info and other members' inputs. JI it is.... Save Amelia for October.

Last edited:

jfinch

Deadline34,

Do Tell!!! From the beach I hope. That is fantastic news. Any pointers on a general area of Amelia Island?

deadline34

I had good luck with Pompano today at American Beach. That is also one of the best spots on Amelia to find sand fleas. Seemed to be best at low tide. Need to get a permit to drive on that beach unless you live in Nassau County, FL.