Back to reality, but still proud

Lane Morrell

It went down to the wire, but I did get the monkey off my back. There is a big difference between last years bird and this years bird as far as spur length goes. Nevertheless, I am as proud as I can be of this years bird.

Not sure about the weight.
9 in. beard
1 1/16 in. left spur, 7/8 in. right spur

Attachments

• spurs 001.jpg
    spurs 001.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 130

hoppie

What did the spurs on the left measure?:hair:

Lane Morrell

What did the spurs on the left measure?:hair:

That was the first bird I ever killed. 1 11/16 in.

I have always loved dove hunting. I would have to say that it is by far my favorite hunting.

I own 2 bird dogs, and quail hunting is a passion also.

I have deer hunted for about 20 years. I have yet to see a buck larger than the first one I killed. He would probably score 95 inches.

Bass fishing is something I have done since a young boy. I have yet to get one large enough for the wall. I have caught several that would go 6 or 7 lbs. But that trophy still eludes me.

I quess what I'm trying to say is, this dadgum turkey hunting thing is really about as much fun as I have ever had. People used to ask me if I turkey hunted and I would tell them quickly, that I didn't care anything for it. Then I started going. It was like the Helicopter Lure you see on t.v. for bass fishing. It hooked me. To hear that gobble in the woods is something that get my inerds stirring.

I got a trophy on my first bird. But it has made the hunt more special for me. I don't go out now every time hoping to kill a monster. I truely enjoy just being there now. Everytime something new happens, I get to truely enjoy it. Now, I view anything I can call up a trophy. I actually have called up 3 different birds now. It just gets better every time.

They say the first step in fighting an addiction is to admit you are addicted to something. Well then: My name is Lane Morrell. I am addicted to turkey hunting!!!

Last edited:

hoppie

There is nothing like it and there is definitely nothing like calling in your first bird. First two I killed were jakes with one shot and you would have thought I killed #1 and #2 birds ever in the state. 1 11/16 is a ridiculous. Biggest I have is right at an 1 1/2 and I thought they were big.

southGAlefty

You did good Lane congrats man!

I used to be the same way, never cared much for turkey hunting because Daddy never did but then my Uncle Doug got me into it and I've been hooked ever since.

You truly did out-punt your coverage on that first one though! I hope you kill one bigger than that in years to come but man that's gonna be tough to beat!