sightfishing sunglass

rolling_rock_123

I love to sight fish for tailing reds and have always worn maui jims with the dark lens. I know that there are better glasses and better lens to use. I was wondering what everyone else wore and what lens color is the best?
If price didn't matter what would you buy if you were going to get a new pair?

Robert 31320

I just bought a pair of Costa Del Mar - Wave Killers w/Amber - Green Mirror lens. Money is an object so I didn't get the 580 lens...

Nautical Son

I just bought a pair of Costa Del Mar - Wave Killers w/Amber - Green Mirror lens. Money is an object so I didn't get the 580 lens...

thanks for the chuckle robert

Costas with side shields mirrored lenses..mine are blue, the color of the mirror doesn't seem to matter.

Capt. Richie Lott

Green seems to be the best inshore color.. Works best for me, anyhow....

wmaybin

agree with richie, the green are desighned for inshore and shallow, blue for open water apps I believe. Costa's are hard to beat IMO.

PaulD

Banned
Costa with 580 lenses. For days that are sunny go with green. Over cast days go with Amber. Offshore go with blue, in case you ever get curious. ;)

FishingAddict

If you only want one pair, and you fish inshore, go with amber. The brand really does not matter that much, as long as it's a light amber and polarized.

Inshore GA

Love my costa's! I've got the blue and they work great inshore. Can spot bait, reds, triple tail, and tarpon with no problem.

Tyson

Kind of addicted to my costa's...got a 580 green mirror pair, a blue mirror pair and a gray lense pair. You know, so I have most situations covered. One other really nice thing about costa's is their lifetime warranty. I've sent glasses back probably 6 times (mostly my fault for breaking them). You only pay for shipping when its their problem...and I've only paid $40-$60 for fixes when its been my fault. Much better than buying brand new pair of shades. Makes me feel a little better about spending the money on top of the line sunglasses when the company backs 'em 100%.

bird_dawg

I've got polorized oakleys and love em!

thendric

Just make sure they are polarized. Costas are very well made frames with high quality lenses. You can also get the Costas with RX and bifocal lenses. The 580's are made of glass and are more durable, but they are also heavier.

I have a pair of Costa brine with the 400 lenses in mirror green that are by far the best sunglasses I've used.

G Duck

I have the Stringer in Green 580, cant tell a diff in the weight. I have had some Maui Jims that were great, but I like Costas better, and yes there is a difference from plain Jane polarized shades.

grim

Moderate Anarchist and Retired Mod
Its been said repeatedly, but I will add my vote......

Amber costa 580s with green for inshore.

Grey costa 580s with blue for offshore.

The dif between the grey and amber and the blue and green or black for that matter is minimal - but it is there. The 580 lens makes a bigger difference IMO. I am personally partial to the costa del mars, but maui jim and a number of other brands are still very good.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I got a pair of clip-on polorized shades from Wal-Mart.:p

oldcsm

Prescription Polarized Glasses

For years, I've been ordering prescription polarized sun glasses from Elton Optics in Las Vegas. They have several lense color and type choices as well as frames made for the fisherman. Their work is very high quality. I just ordered the "wraptor" frame with amber polycarbonate lenses with bifocals today for $149 total. You can order over the phone or fax in your prescription. My order will be shipped this afternoon.

http://www.eltonoptics.com/