Hummer eyebal (well almost)

LOVEMYLABXS

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it without any cropping but I want a close up like Smokey got of a horse eye and so far I think this is as close as I can get the Nikon to focus. I'm maybe 2 ft from her :fine:

Attachments

• DSC_0026 copy.jpg
    DSC_0026 copy.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 108

wvdawg

Staff member
Neat shot right there Mike!

rip18

Looks really good!

Look for some lens reviews for the lens you are using - in the Technical Specifications, it will have the "minimum focusing distance" or somethign similar. That'll tell you how close that lens will focus. You can add an extension tube (comparatively cheap) that will allow you to focus closer than that.

You flat nailed the plane of focus on that one though! (The closer you get, the shallower the depth of field....).

Keep 'em coming!

LOVEMYLABXS

Looks really good!

Look for some lens reviews for the lens you are using - in the Technical Specifications, it will have the "minimum focusing distance" or somethign similar. That'll tell you how close that lens will focus. You can add an extension tube (comparatively cheap) that will allow you to focus closer than that.

You flat nailed the plane of focus on that one though! (The closer you get, the shallower the depth of field....).

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Rip it's the Sigma 70-300 and I think I read where it said 3 ft min so I'm happy with the pics I got. I won't be getting any more camera toys for a while my next purchase is going to be a 4x4 tractor to play with since I got some land and time on my hands, who knows what I might plant and then what might come in to give me some other targets to mush/shoot at :banana::biggrin2:

Hoss

Fine shot, Mike.

Does that lens have the macro setting on it? If it does, try that and see if it helps with a closer focus. I had (Mrs. Hoss has) a Quantaray 70-300 macro, but I haven't used it in a long time, so I don't recall how well it worked in the macro mode on close shots.

Hoss

LOVEMYLABXS

Fine shot, Mike.

Does that lens have the macro setting on it? If it does, try that and see if it helps with a closer focus. I had (Mrs. Hoss has) a Quantaray 70-300 macro, but I haven't used it in a long time, so I don't recall how well it worked in the macro mode on close shots.

Hoss

Yes it does Hoss and I was using it but that was as close as i could get before the camera would shut down and not take a pic at all . Not sure if takin it out of auto mode and tryin to manuley focusing would do any good but I'll have to give it a try next time.

Thanks for the comment

Sunshine1

Nice shot............got a question though....can humming birds open their beaks?? Anyone ever seen a pic of one with them open?

Hoss

Mike, I'll have to borrow;);) my wifes lens and see how close I can get. Been to long since I used it. I'll let you know.

Hoss

LOVEMYLABXS

Nice shot............got a question though....can humming birds open their beaks?? Anyone ever seen a pic of one with them open?

Sunshine not sure of how far open your talkin about but hey you just gave me a challenge to get a pic :fine: I looked thru some of my other shots and now that you mention it I can't find one that shows them with it wide open but I'm sure they must be able to. I've read where they also catch bug (skeeters ) so I'd guess they have to beable to open them somewhat (like a net ) to do that. This is something I've seen a couple of times where they have gotten stuff for their nest but if they open their mouths or just spear it I'm not sure :huh: It's the fuzz of of a cottonwood tree.

Attachments

• 100_1693.JPG
    100_1693.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 57

rip18

Neat shot with the fuzz!

Yep, they can open their beaks. I've seen a couple of shots with males fighting with pretty wide open beaks. They use their beaks to collect spider webs & lichens for their nests as well. Besides catching bugs like skeeters...