Black Hills..............South Dakota?

KY Red

Anyone ever chased Merriams in the Black Hills? I was in South Dakota last week, Sioux Falls (east side of the state) on business, and the guys I was working with said the Black Hills are the most beautiful place on Earth. That is a bold statement! They said turkeys are everywhere with not much hunting pressure. Who knows, I don't know? I've always wanted to go there, see Mt. Rushmore and hunt the Merriams. I am starting to do some research about the place. Any comments from you traveling turkey hunters? :fine:

coyota

Haven't seen the whole earth yet so I can't speak to that bold statement, but it is pretty nice! What some may consider "not much hunting pressure" sometimes seems like a crowd to someone who grew up here. Bring your best manners regarding courtesy and safety and you will be welcome-it is worth the trip!:)

Slings and Arrows

The hills hunt similar to N.GA in altitude and crowds but the weather swings are more dramatic. The public land is vast and you can find your own spots. Consider also hunting N.W. Nebraska, N.E. Wyoming and/or S.E. Montana as well. Much of the S.D. Black Hills are 1 tag and this will give you other bird opportunities a short distance away. If you're going all the way there, hit it hard!

blong

The hills are pretty rugged but there are alot of turkeys. If you go just east of there you can hunt the pine ridge reservation which is covered up with birds.

Public Land Prowler

Not quite everywhere,but when you get into them,you will have plenty to play with.Pressure was light.It is indeed one of the most beautiful places in the US.

I went to sioux falls during that trip..asked my wife to re-marry me at the falls while we were there..Which we did renew our vows on our 10th wedding anniversary last year.Back on subject..There is Huge difference between east SD,and the hills..

Check out my thread from last year..I have alot of pics from there..

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=335962&highlight=hills

Covehnter

What? Black Hills? Merriams? Mt. Rushmore?

OutWestTrip080.jpg

muckalee

great pic Covehunter!!!!

I also want try a merriams one day. Only thing I have done is the eastern and rio.

tcoker

Headed to Hill City on Tuesday to hunt the hills. The weather has been cold and snowing off and on for better part of a week I'm afraid they will still be bunch up. Forecast is for great weather in the next 10 days so we shall see. I can't wait.

BASS1FUN

I've deer hunted it back in 1995, been planning to go hunt merriams but i have not made it, beautiful country

kyhunter

I will let you know what I think. I have never been but am going to Black hills on the 30th with a SD tag and a Nebraska license also in case we tag one early. We are even looking into Wyoming just in case it's really good. Never hunted Merriams but people say if you can kill an eastern you can kill merriams, we will see

kyhunter

Does anybody have any boot advice? I have some light weight leather hiking boots I elk hunt in and was planning on wearing. Do I need to worry water proof?