Summer Kayak Fishing Safety on Lakes

ZachYak

So normally when I write an examiner.com article I’ll pimp the URL to a few websites. I think this article and a few more safety ones are too important for my fraction of a cent per view so I’m going to post them in their entirety.

If you feel compelled to view it in the article view you can do that HERE.
But what I want more than anything is for everyone to read this and be a little bit safer out on the water KAYAKERS AND POWERBOATERS ALIKE.

Bare Essentials:
Certain safety items are required for kayakers and other small vessels.
• PFD - There must be one for every person aboard your kayak. It’s not required that you wear it, but it should always be worn. If you’re in a situation where you need your PFD, more than likely something catastrophic happened and there’s a good chance you lost consciousness in the process, getting hit by a ski boat for example. Work it into your fishing style and soon you’ll feel uncomfortable not wearing it.
The next two items are only required on Federally Controlled Waters, but are crucial anywhere. For a complete list of regulations, check out the WRD's Regulations
• Sound device - Anything from a whistle to an air horn.
• Visual distress signal - Anything from a bright orange flag to a flare gun during the day.

Extras:
These items, while not required, are highly recommended to keep you safe on the water.
• Water
• Reflective tape/ Bungees – Put it everywhere you can. Paddles, flags, hats, anchor trolley’s, etc.
• Brightly colored clothes –Shirts, hats, PFD’s, etc.
• Rain gear – Pop-up rain storms are very common in the summer so pack that poncho.
• VHF Radio – To contact officials in case of emergency and get up to date weather information. You can also dial *SOS on your cell phone.
• GPS – For finding your way home from your honey hole and determining your position in case of an emergency.
• Waterproof first aid kit
• Bee sting kit
• Tow Rope

Worst Case Scenario:
This gear is very useful and possibly life saving in the event you become stranded during kayak fishing.
• Dry change of clothes
• Makeshift rain shelter
• Waterproof fire starter
• Energy bars

Sun Protection
Skin cancer should be a very real concern for every outdoorsman and these items can help reduce your risk.
• High SPF sunscreen
• UV Proof fishing clothing (i.e. Columbia, World Wide Sportsman)
• Polarized Sunglasses.

Stay safe out there everyone and keep your head on a swivel, guys!

Last edited:

krusty

Nice tips here for sure. I need to add a whistle in my ditch bag. Always had one in the motor boat, don't know why I don't have one in the yak. I guess you can always pick up a tip here and there. Here are few items I carry in addition to many of the above every time I hit the water.

A basic first aid kit (plus a few over the counter medicines like advil, tylenol, benadryl, zantac, imodium, etc.
Extra bottle of water and a some sort of food (candy bar, crackers, jerky, etc.)
A good pocket knife and a multi tool of some sort.
Bug spray.
Lighter.

Be safe and have fun on the water.

ZachYak

WATER and energy bars are crucial! Can't believe I left those out, thanks dude!

They make little water proof whistles that clip on to your PFD, I completely forget mine's there!

FishingAddict

Good stuff.

One thing I would add to the essentials:

A dry bag with some sort of wool clothing if fishing in waters under 70 and air temps under 70.

I learned my lesson a year ago or so- I took my Dad fishing on my canoe in a river on a cool JUNE morning. The water temp was in the 60s, the air temp was 60-62.

Well, he saw me standing in the canoe and thought that he could do it as well. I told him no to...but Dad's always know best...right?

Well, 20 seconds later the horizion goes vertical and we were in the drink.

We were only 1/4 mile from the take out. I got out and pulled him and the canoe up river thru the shallows. By 10 minutes he was shaking unconrollably from being cold- I was warmed by the physical exersion- but still really cold.

Made me realize how cold you get if you fall in and it's not warm outside. I never leave without a dry bag with warm clothes unless it's REALLY warm outside, regardless of what time of year it is.

FishingAddict

Oh, and a GPS may be crucial if you are fishing a lake and fog rolls in, even if you know the lake well.

ZachYak

Good stuff.

One thing I would add to the essentials:

A dry bag with some sort of wool clothing if fishing in waters under 70 and air temps under 70.

I learned my lesson a year ago or so- I took my Dad fishing on my canoe in a river on a cool JUNE morning. The water temp was in the 60s, the air temp was 60-62.

Well, he saw me standing in the canoe and thought that he could do it as well. I told him no to...but Dad's always know best...right?

Well, 20 seconds later the horizion goes vertical and we were in the drink.

We were only 1/4 mile from the take out. I got out and pulled him and the canoe up river thru the shallows. By 10 minutes he was shaking unconrollably from being cold- I was warmed by the physical exersion- but still really cold.

Made me realize how cold you get if you fall in and it's not warm outside. I never leave without a dry bag with warm clothes unless it's REALLY warm outside, regardless of what time of year it is.

Thanks and yes that's very true! Hypothermia is still a very real threat when kayak fishing in the summer. I included dry change of clothes in the Worst Case Scenario section, but yes given the right conditions and of the items in any of the sections could be essential to saving your life.