Bought me a Yak this afternoon

kirby999

I hope I like it . I called BPS in Macon about the possible recall of the Ascends and the availability of the OK Scramblers . I was told , no recall , but they are new and might take a little time to work out the kinks in them . hmmmm. As far as the Scramblers , he said they had a few in stock , but wouldn't guarantee he would have any left come Saturday . So I took off to Macon , "Just to check them out ":):fine: . When I got there , the young guy in the department was a lot of help and answered my questions , the best he could . Anyway , I bought a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT . I read several good reviews on the Scrambler XT , all but one said it tracked well and was not the fastest , but not the slowest . All but one said it was a stable yak . It seemed like the best deal for me in my budget . I would have loved to have the Trident 11 they had on display , but couldn't justify double the price . BTW the deal with the paddle and the $50 rebate is if you buy a Scrambler XT and the paddle by 5-31-10 , the paddle was $64.99 and mail off the coupon by 6-15-10 , you get a $50 gift card in 6-8 weeks . I didn't find this out until I got up front with paddle in hand . Not the way I had it explained to me in the back . But I have a yak , and will be trying this one out hopefully tomorrow afternoon . kirby

Welcome to the flock, best purchase you could make. You are officially now member of the "Extruded Poly-Ethelyne Commandos"!

Randy

It will serve you well for a while. Glad to have you in our ranks. I guess this means I won't get to meet you Saturday?

kirby999

It will serve you well for a while. Glad to have you in our ranks. I guess this means I won't get to meet you Saturday?

I got worried they would sell all them before Sat. I may still come down and check things out . kirby

ZachYak

Welcome to the addiction Kirby! Be sure to post up when you get her slimed!

KDarsey

You WILL love it and the next one you buy....

willyredeemed

congrats! i, too, have a scrambler xt angler and am enjoying it so far...i'm a noob and it was a budget-friendly purchase. now that $50 can go towards a fishfinder!

rayjay

Back in the 90's REI used to rent a variety of kayaks and this was a great way to see what you liked. We ended up with a Loon 16T and 2 single seaters.

If any of you guys want to do some blackwater kayaking do some trips down the Yellow River. We used to see people fishing from the bank but I never did any fishing, just boating.

On the Yellow you have a bunch of options on put in, take out and trip length. Anything from a couple of hours to 7 hours or more depending on your willingness to actually paddle :rofl:

My favorite was to put in near where 78 crosses and to take out at Annistown Rd. You could also go a bit farther and take out at the bicycle park. There are some very small drops and rapids about 1/2 mile before Annistown Rd. I would do the 'whitewater' and then get out and drag the boat back up the river and do it again.

I haven't been on the River since the late 90's so I don't know what kind of shape it is in reference to downed trees etc. It used to be great all the way to hwy 124 but got a little more difficult south of there due to downed trees.

Remember, always respect moving water no matter how slow and gentle it seems.

milltown

I've been looking at some and haven't decided yet, my brother in law has a 10' pelican and I got in it and couldn't get out fast enough. I couldn't help but feeling like I was about to turn over. Is that just nerves from the first time or is it really that unstable. He is a good bit smaller than me and he says he is real comfortable in it.
Just wondering.

ZachYak

I've been looking at some and haven't decided yet, my brother in law has a 10' pelican and I got in it and couldn't get out fast enough. I couldn't help but feeling like I was about to turn over. Is that just nerves from the first time or is it really that unstable. He is a good bit smaller than me and he says he is real comfortable in it.
Just wondering.

Give some of the Sit-On-Top styles designed for fishing a shot, I doubt you'll have the same feeling. Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems and Hobie (If you want to pedal instead of paddle) are some of the more common brands around here.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I'll be joining the ranks soon too. Out of town for a week starting tomorrow but I doubt I'll be able to wait much longer once I'm back. Give us a good report on the Scrambler after you have a chance to paddle and catch some fish out of it. :cheers: