Operation ROE

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF6QzQddXXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MF6QzQddXXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

wmaybin

I would like to request notification of reason for my post on this thread being deleted. Thank you Mods.

This is a voluntary program at this time and whether I like the idea or not it makes sense IF THERE REALLY HAS BEEN A SIGNIFICANT FISH KILL. One charter cpt. seeing "a few dead fish" here and there just doesn't do it for me. In defense of the ones who are a bit more agitated than myself - after the red snapper closure how do you expect people to react. We do need to protect our resources no doubt but we need to do so on good solid scientific information. I know this is not a closure or a law, just a suggestion but you have to admitt that people are gun shy and for good reason.If the closures keep coming none of us will need our boats, our coastal properties, gas, bait, mechanics, hotels, the list goes on and on. I guess at least we will have fewer fees and taxes to pay. My point is burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.
This is a public forum and this is my public opinion, if you don't like it tough. If you want to delete it again then by all means.

G Duck

It would be interesting to see what their membership numbers are like this year. If there has been an increase or decrease

That makes sense but I don't get to go fishing near as much as Dr Harper there. Hence my own little RUT initiative .....
Release Under Thirteen.

GB Young

Break free!

IF YOU ARE OPPOSED TO THIS VOLUNTARY PROGRAM....BREAK FREE FROM THE MIND CONTROL GO CATCH AND EAT SOME 19INCH TROUT. THAT WILL TEACH THOSE MEAN OL COMMUNIST, NAZI, SOCIALLY CONDITIONING CCA FISH LOVERS........RIDICULOUS:cry:::cry::cry::cry:

Inshore GA

Yes, I understand the reason for ROE and have VOLANTARLY realeased quite a few trout over 18" this year and in years past. I'm a guide and I explain operation ROE to my clients when they catch a GATOR. Most have volantarly put the fish in the cooler. It's their trip and their decision. I hope that it will stay volantary. We've had cold winters in the past and the trout have always rebounded. I don't think that the creel or size limits should change...if it does we probably will never see it increase...
Just my 2 cents.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
OK, I cleaned this mess up again. The OP deleted the first thread due to my being late moderating the thing. Deal is whether you agree or not with the premise of ROE you can be respectful in your disagreement. Name calling will not be tolerated. Whether you agree or not with the OP you can do so respectfully. Whether I agree or not is of no importance. I will let the chips fall where they may when folks are disrespectful.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
It would be interesting to see what their membership numbers are like this year. If there has been an increase or decrease

CCA of GA membership is holding its own relative to the contraction similar conservation/sportsman are feeling during this economic downturn.

Banquet attendance is steady overall with good growth in some chapters.

Fishermen who seek information rather than listening to rumor and accusation generally appreciate the efforts of the organization.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Yes, I understand the reason for ROE and have VOLANTARLY realeased quite a few trout over 18" this year and in years past. I'm a guide and I explain operation ROE to my clients when they catch a GATOR. Most have volantarly put the fish in the cooler. It's their trip and their decision. I hope that it will stay volantary. We've had cold winters in the past and the trout have always rebounded. I don't think that the creel or size limits should change...if it does we probably will never see it increase.......
Just my 2 cents.

Capt. Mark,

It is strictly voluntary and during our discussions and planning of the program everyone was adamantly in agreement that regulatory changes were not something we were interested in.

In my personal discussion with CRD employees they have told me point blank that there is no need for creel reductions or slots for trout.

CRD does not want regulation change and are not asking for regulation change.

The preliminary numbers from the net surveys indicate that population numbers are lower than they have been in any year since the survey has been carried out but the word I got was that it was not as bad as some thought.

Hard numbers will be available soon.

I am sure that there will be detractors who will claim that the population was not effected at all just as there will be folks who will claim that, despite the survey results, it is much worse than claimed by CRD.

Last edited:

captainhook

I personally believe in CCA. Not every organization gets it right every time but CCA's track record is very good. Their efforts have benefited the sportsman of GA as a whole. The other thing that I love about them is that our donations get spent in our area, not some far away land we will never fish. I have been a member of several other organizations that take fundraiser moneys generated in an area away never to be seen again. I no longer belong to those organizations. CCA is also a great source of knowledge about inshore fish behaviors and techniques.
As far as ROE goes I think it is a good suggestion and should be considered when you are out there catching large numbers of big trout. Half a million eggs is a lot freeze or no. I target big trout specifically with the larger lures I use and I let the majority of them go after a quick picture. I also eat some from time to time. I admit it my family ate three over 20's a couple weeks ago but I couldn't catch any smaller ones. The rest are free. Those will probably be the last larger trout I keep this year unless they are severely injured in their capture and I can't release them successfully. I usually let all my reds go too. I let the flounder come home if they are 17 plus if I need some fish dinner for my family. I fish once a week at least and value leaving fish for others and for my future adventures. These are my personal decisions that no one is forcing me to make and I couldn't be happier about it. By the same token I don't expect everyone to feel the same way and I am fine with that too.

wmaybin

I would be interested in seeing these preliminary net numbers as well as the final data, can you point me in the right direction please?

And by the way let me go on record and say I never said I was opposed to the idea, I simply beleive that we need to act on good evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

IdRatherBHunting

I know that this is going to stir the pot bigtime but when I go to Florida and fish for trout it is amazing to see the quanity and quality of the catch almost "every"time. Just my personal thoughts but it seems like the limits and closures that are in place in the sunshine state have something to do with that.

"Slot limit of not less than 15" and not more than 20" in the Northeast and South regions and not less than 15" and not more than 24" in the Northwest Region; closed season is November and December in the South region, February in the Northwest region, and December through February in the Northeast region; 5 per person per day limit in the South and Northeast regions; 7 per person per day limit in the Northwest Region; may possess one fish over the maximum size limit. South region is from Volusia-Flagler county line southward along the Atlantic and from the Pinellas-Pasco County line southward along the Gulf coast. Northeast region is waters north of the Volusia-Flagler county line. Northwest region is waters north and west of the Pinellas-Pasco County line."

Again just a personal note but I fish very often and 15 trout is alot of fish. I wonder what Ga. fishing would be like with limits like Florida? I for one will cast a top water plug for hours on end to have the opportunity at a big trout. How many more might I catch if the size limit were 15"?

ratherbefishin

Why don't we all just obey the limits set by GA DNR and be done with it. If they see the need to change the regs., then they will do so. No need for CCA or any other group to get involved in something that the state of GA has been handling for years.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Careful there Jeffy or you may not get the option to clean the thread up yourself next time ;)

I would be interested in seeing these preliminary net numbers as well as the final data, can you point me in the right direction please?

And by the way let me go on record and say I never said I was opposed to the idea, I simply beleive that we need to act on good evidence.

Mayby,

As I said earlier, I'll post the numbers as soon as I get it, probably early next week. I didn't take notes when the numbers were thrown at me a few days ago but I will say they concerned me as being more significant than they seemed to be to the individual who told me about them.

I'm glad you are not opposed to the program. Many Charter Captains have been doing this already and we believe it is a worthwhile way to jump start the recovery.

If there were no net surveys done plenty of people would still act on the fact that the water was cold for a significant period and people witnessed dead fish as a result.

If anyone doesn't want to support the effort without seeing the data, they shouldn't. If the effort nets 10 participants it will have been a worthwhile effort in my opinion.

IdRatherbeHuntin,

Some people certainly share your opinion. However, many, myself included, love a fish sammich every few days. We have a good consumable resource and while we need to be good stewards of it we shouldn't cut the consumption anymore than is needed in order to sustain the stock.

I personally don't like slots and wish we could find a compromise on the slots we have in Georgia and more-so in Florida. You have to be a savant to remember all the limits, lengths and slots. I know it's better that way but at times it takes a bit of the relaxation away.

Although it happens around here more than it should, 'feathers should not be ruffled' because you share your opinion about the fishery.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Yep... doesn't seem like there is a "recovery" happening to me.... good strong bite. But I only fish when the tides are right.

Seriously, what recovery are you talking about?

-D

Seriously, watch the video at the top of the thread.

Like I said, I've caught a few fish myself but are you telling me that the tides matter?:D:rolleyes:

CUOffshore

Seriously, you're avoiding the question. What recovery are you talking about?

I watched the video... "may have been", "could have been a brutal winter"...

And Wendell went fishing in the middle of the freeze and didn't catch many fish?

Doh!

Come on down to Savannah. There is not a recovery. I'll show you. (We have Winter every year).

I know that you aren't going to give me a straight answer, but again, what recovery are you talking about?

-D

Last edited:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I've been to Savannah, Richmond Hill, Darien and Brunswick over the past month.

If you are insinuating that the trout population was not impacted by the record cold temperature, there are lots of people with strong credentials who disagree with you as do the net surveys.

As stated previously, if you don't think releasing big trout is a worthwhile effort, fry'em up.