which would you rather kill?

• an easy bird that came in to 25 yds to whip up on your decoy

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • a harder bird that came in to 50 yds in the woods

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters

hawglips

Banned
Would you rather kill an easy bird at 25 yds that ran in to whip up on your decoy, or kill a tougher bird that came in to 50 yds in the woods.

Last edited:

coyota

I have been blessed with a relative abundance of the eager ones-I want the tough one (just a little closer would be nice, though)

Huntinfool

harder bird, in the woods....that came to 25. That's the one I want to kill.

If he hung up at 50, I did something wrong. I wanna kill 'em up close and personal.

But I'm with booner.....the ALL need to die, easy or hard, close or far. Every opposite that Sesame Street could come up with (yes, I have a two year old). Tall, short, fat, skinny....I wanna kill every single one of them.

Is it March yet?

icdedturkes

harder bird, in the woods....that came to 25. That's the one I want to kill.

If he hung up at 50, I did something wrong. I wanna kill 'em up close and personal.

My thoughts as well, if he hung up at 50 I would be sitting there till he either came closer or walked away..

Huntinfool

Plus, I'd rather not dare my little 20ga to bark at 50....she might just be willing to do it.

hawglips

Banned
My thoughts as well, if he hung up at 50 I would be sitting there till he either came closer or walked away..

So, you wouldn't shoot either the 25 yarder that ran to the decoy or the 50 yarder that made you work for him?

Hawken2222

Either would be fine with me, with that said I voted for the bird whooping my decoy, just because I've never had that happen to me before.

muckalee

I'll take the 25 yard bird who's coming to me but he wont be fighting a decoy: I dont use them.

killNgrill

I havent killed many birds... so i go with whichever scenario ends up with me totin' a bird out of the woods :)

boparks

I answered the 50 because I have not been using decoys. I don't shoot over 40 with the exception this year I did shoot one at 43 steps with the Burris Fastfire on my gun.

I have my own reasons thats all, and honestly most of my birds are at 25-30 yards and no telling how many I didn't shoot at 45-50.

Because I don't use mouth calls I've had birds get that close with my call on the ground and not be able to make that last little peep.

I've had less of that happen the past several years because I've learned more about how and where to set up so he's got to look for me.

I think we think alot alike Hal and I'm with you on what I think the gist of this is.

Last edited:

Brad C.

I would rather kill a bird naturally at even 55yds than to kill one over a decoy at 15yds as long as I know I got the gun that can do it very easily in which I do.

The same goes for the portable shooting tents. I won't tell a person not to use one, but anyone that says that it's tough shooting a bird from one is simply in la la land.

hawglips

Banned
I'll take the 25 yard bird who's coming to me but he wont be fighting a decoy: I dont use them.

So which would you prefer, the 25 yarder to the decoy, or the 50 yarder without?

NorthGaHunter

I voted 50 yarder. I would be happy with an easy one too running up on me at 25 yards...but he won't be finding any decoys though since I don't use them. I'll gladly take them anyway I legally can.......even if it means I have to crawl up on them.

ryanwhit

I'll shoot him at 50 yards for having feathers!

I'd rather kill a smarter bird that I worked for than a dumb one that comes running. I would not deny either a bloody face, though.

And 50 yds these days isn't that far. If folks don't want to shoot that far, that's fine, but it ought not be because the equipment can't do it.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Doesn't matter to me.....I ain't impartial to one over the other!:rofl: To me, both are exciting!:cool:

I'm a equal opportunity killer........ if he comes in range and I can get a shot he's DEAD. And either the 12ga or 10ga will reach out and touch'em, which ever one I'm toting that day.....:D:shoot: