Sharks

hntr2k

So, with this little tournament looming, I of course got it into my head that, IF I can actually succeed in catching a keeper shark,:huh: I might like to keep and eat it.

Would anyone care to advise me in the proper procedure for immediate care, cleaning, dressing, etc., shark for the table?:confused:

Never have eaten shark before in any form or fashion. Want to though.

Thanks!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
what works for us.....when we make the decision that we are going to eat this shark. we immidietly cut the throat with a fillet knife all the way to the bone, and on both sides of the bone. then we remove all inards immediatly. we cut all we can, without cutting the head off!. i think there's rules on landing them at the boat ramp with heads and fins in tack. not sure on that though. i have seen a group of guy's once, cutting the heads off sharks to bleed them out, and the warden checked them. they got in trouble because their sharpnose sharks did not meet the size limit with the removed head.

hntr2k

That's what I've been hearing. That you need to get the shark gutted right away and on ice. I guess the sharks excrete their urine through the skin, so the uric acid will saturate the skin and meat if they essentially urinate before you get their insides out and I guess sever the spinal chord behind the head at least.

Any more takers on this one?

I see the Small Shark Composite limit is 30" for Atlantic Sharpnose, Bonnethead, and Spiny Dogfish

All others: 54" and Harvest Prohibited for Sandbar and Sand Tiger

So what is the better eating shark? The Small Shark Composite fish or the bigger ones?

Sharkfighter

Marinate, Marinate and Marinate lol.

I mostly have kept the Sharpnose. One Sharpnose of Keeper size will feed 4 (three if you are REALLY Hungry.)

Bleeding is good because the blood in the water attracts more but I have not always done it.

Often we just put them on ice til we get back to marina. Cut off head and tail, gut them and cut into steaks. marinate the steaks in Italian dressing for about 12 hours and then grill.

My buddy just did up some we handled that way (his first ever shark and it was NOT bled at the boat) and grilled it in aluminum foil with some lemon juice, and peppers. Said it was great!

http://www.sharkfighter.com/How To/Shark Grilling.html

The pic below is meat from two small Atlantic Sharpnose sharks when 30 in TL was all that was needed. A few more steaks would be had from one now the about 6 inch difference going to 30 in FL limit.

My wife is coming back from a two week vacation on the 26th, I asked her what she would think if I made her take a taxi from the airport because I went fishing, she was not pleased lol but I do Sooooo wish I could get down there.

Good Luck to everyone fishing and a great Job By Cpt Ritchie in organizing it, (along with Kudos to the GON staff for a great site to meet so many helpful people!)

Attachments

• Shark steaks.jpg
    Shark steaks.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 177

hntr2k

Outstanding! Thanks a bunch for the tips. Wish you could come down for the Tournament and gathering.

Have a safe long weekend!

Mud Minnow

I'm pretty sure the head does have to be intack as well as the fins if you get checked.

PaulD

Banned
Sharks, except mako's, pee through their skin. I'm just saying..........they are good for sport and the whiting are good for eating. :). I ate mako a couple of times though and it was outstanding! Not knocking anyone that likes it. Personally I aint a fan as long as whiting, trout, flounder, sheepies, Triple tail, and reds are still around and we can keep them.

hortonhunter22

it is absolutely a must to bleed a shark that you plan to eat. to any one that has tasted shark and thought it was funky it was due to all the red meat(blood) that they have. if you will take and cut the tail through to the backbone...you will hit a major vein that will take care of the bleeding part. now when you skin the shark out take extra care to cut out all the dark red area to where it is all white meat...cant beat it if you do it this way...land them...bleed them..gut them and put on ice...be as good as you could ask for