Finally made it onto the Hiwassee

Georgia Hard Hunter

Fished the Hiwassee yesterday with a close friend of mine. We put in just below the powerhouse at 9am just after they turned the water on for a float to Realiance. Things started quickly with several fish taken on black Woolly Buggers then I lost my only Bugger and thought I was in trouble. I tied on a large Black Zonker #4 with silver body and IT WAS ON!! For the next 3 hours I averaged a fish every 3rd cast! They weren't big fish, averaged about 11", but it was fun. I have no idea how many I caught but it was the most fish by far I've caught on a single trip. This continued thru sun and light rain. We got to the 'Steps' in the late after noon and anchored (as there were few other fisherman on the river) waiting on the Sulphers. The hatch was sparse at best, but the was plenty of rising fish for about 2 hours. We observed 2 large Browns sipping Sulphers on ocasion but had no luck with them. We dropped anchor so I put back on my mini sink tip line and Black Zonker and kept catching fish till we got to the boat landing at almost total darkness.
If your looking for big fish this is not the place, but if you want quanity of fish the Hiwassee is ideal right now
Thank God I lost that Woolly Bugger

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Glad you got to fish the HR one time....it is one of my favorite waters!

And you're right.. there are NO big fish in the Hiwassee below the spillway! ;)

Tightliner

Glad you got to fish the HR one time....it is one of my favorite waters!

And you're right.. there are NO big fish in the Hiwassee below the spillway! ;)

Not only are there no big fish below the spillway, there are NO fish at all in that river;). Fish it most every weekend and the only reason I waste my time is to watch Bitter's graceful water ballet::ke:.

Sulphers havnt been real strong and really arent there compaired to say the SoHo or Clinch. But just hold on a bit till the baetis come on, that gets more interesting. Or better yet pick the worst possible rainy/thunderstorm day and pray to the Isonychia God......... THATS the ticket:biggrin2:!

Headed to the SOHO this week for what I hope to be peaking sulpher activity. Try to give a report on it.

Later.......................................

Georgia Hard Hunter

Talked to my Buddy who guides the Hiwassee about 4 days a week. As of yesterday he is seeing some Isonychia in size 12, clients caught quite a few blind drifting along side the boat. Hopefully the big #8 Isonychia will be working soon. Don't fish Friday, I'm heading there Friday, and I always miss the hatches. I'm always a day late or a day early. I don't know how many "MAN YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN HERE YESTERDAY"!!!! I've heard :banginghe

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Talked to my Buddy who guides the Hiwassee about 4 days a week. As of yesterday he is seeing some Isonychia in size 12, clients caught quite a few blind drifting along side the boat. Hopefully the big #8 Isonychia will be working soon. Don't fish Friday, I'm heading there Friday, and I always miss the hatches. I'm always a day late or a day early. I don't know how many "MAN YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN HERE YESTERDAY"!!!! I've heard :banginghe

Yes my friend you have to catch it right... and altough we float it... do not overlook the wading on 1 and even 2 generators at times. I don't do 2 myself but a good friend from Rome does. But you have to be very familiar with the rock structure before you go that route. Now on 1 generator, you can mop up pretty well also, the feeding lanes change and you have to relearn the river a bit, but it is worth the effort. Maybe you can hook up with me and Tighliner and another buddy one day and we'll get your feet wet! :cheers:

Huntervationist

ya'll must have missed the memo...the HR is HV's private stash!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No fishing allowed!!!!!::ke: cuz there are no fish there at all...now go far away!!!!

Last edited:

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
ya'll must have missed the memo...the HR is HV's private stash!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No fishing allowed!!!!!::ke: cuz there are no fish there at all...now go far away!!!!

What do you drive and by chance were you parked at Big Ben about 3 or so weeks ago on a Sunday morning? I saw a Ga plate and a GON sticker with some other kayak kinda stickers on a truck there and was wondering who in their right mind would drive up there to fish! :crazy::bounce:

Huntervationist

i was parked in the lot just below the power house..white 03 rover with GON, and a few other stickers on it...my Dagger RPM was on the top.. going for 2 weeks starting aug 6th......and Ya'll better stay away!!!!!!!!:D::;:D
would like to get up there this weekend, but have deployment orders from the admiral, she has an attack planned on the indiginious fish, and crab surrounding hunting island this week end. :)

Last edited:

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
i was parked in the lot just below the power house..white 03 rover with GON, and a few other stickers on it...my Dagger RPM was on the top.. going for 2 weeks starting aug 6th......and Ya'll better stay away!!!!!!!!:D::;:D
would like to get up there this weekend, but have deployment orders from the admiral, she has an attack planned on the indiginious fish, and crab surrounding hunting island this week end. :)

Where are ya'll camping... Quinn Springs... or Gee Creek? Maybe we can hook up and sink a fly in fish slime! :fine:

Magowah

Ever notice the air stream trailer permanently parked on the right side of the river about a quarter mile below the main bridge? I am allowed to stay there thanks to old friends made there many years ago. It is my favorite long weekend of the year. The best thing about it is that cell phones (at least att) don't work there. Enjoy!

Huntervationist

Ever notice the air stream trailer permanently parked on the right side of the river about a quarter mile below the main bridge? I am allowed to stay there thanks to old friends made there many years ago. It is my favorite long weekend of the year. The best thing about it is that cell phones (at least att) don't work there. Enjoy!

shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! dang it.....people will think the HR is a good place to go!!! no fish!!! cell phones from every provider work outstanding......and beer drinking kids are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

no fish here..nothing to see...move along folks...move along!!!:smash:

Scotsman

Magowah....I know that trailer...the tin can. Been there a few times. Been fortunate to fish the river for over 20 years...good spots back then are still good spots now. I've been lucky to catch some big browns on small dry flies over the years.