Redfish on fire 6-6-10

wharfrat

The good news is-the redfish and blacktips were fired up. The bad news is-we were seriously undertackled. Our standard MO is 1/8-3/8 Slayer jigheads with plastics, gulps or when puttin the kids on the fish-we will pin small livies on the jigheads. Today we brought the kids with some Harris Teeter shrimp and a handful of mullet we caught. The mullet were all 6-9" which obviously are too big for a jighead. We ended up using the mullet with about 2-3" cut off the tail. This caused us to pull the hooks on quite a few fish. Not to mention, the cut offs on the sharks. The spinners/blacktips put on a pretty awesome aerial display. We managed to get 3 blacktips in the 14-18 lb range and 9 nice reds between 26" and 32". The lesson learned here is to match the tackle with the bait and species. 10 lb braid with 17 lb flouro will not cut it on these sharks. Even the redfish put quite the test on that tackle and takes a while to land them in the deeper water. Circle hooks, like the ones RedFishOne has, with a little stouter terminal tackle would be the way to go. I like as light as an egg sinker as you can get away with and 40 lb or better 6-8" leader or even light wire. All in all, a great day and the mullet heads didn't last two minutes when we got em in the spot. All fish released quite healthy and all fish fought like they were on steroids. Georgia coastal fish are STRONG!

img_2478.jpg

img_2474.jpg

img_2472.jpg

img_2467.jpg

img_2464.jpg

img_2469.jpg

img_2482.jpg

img_2489.jpg

img_2490.jpg

img_2480.jpg

img_2498.jpg

Last edited:

Robert 31320

Nice!

capt stan

Great work man!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
awsome job once again! looks like everyone got some action too! the young man has got a nice hat!

Capt. Richie Lott

sweeet!! That mudflat fishing disease is a sick one.... I LOVE IT!

HuntNTails

Nice fish!!! Those reds would definitely make me smile. We mostly caught sharks Sat.