Weekend Report

hntr2k

All righty then...

Over in the SmackTalk Thread someone commented that in order to catch sharks, all they have to do is go Trout fishing. Funny, if it weren't soooo true.

Saturday my buddy took us out of Champney, stopped into Two-Way for shrimp then took off to the Hampton River and out to Pelican Spit area. Fished the area of the south bank near the mouth for a couple of hours and caught one 12" trout. Sighted Wharfrat out there with his boy. This gave me the indication that at the very least I was in the right general area, 'cause he ALWAYS catches fish! But it was not to be.

We moved on out to the spit itself and fished inside the south sandbar. then we began a long afternoon of hooking into alternating whiting and sharks. After checking the tournament guidelines I realized we were somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 hundred points...and we were fishing for whiting. :crazy:

Sunday I took my boat out to the north end of Jekyll, inside the sound, on the sandbar and we fished all day right there in that spot. We caught a double handfull of whiting and the rough count we had on 13 to 18" black tips was right around 50...Not exagerating. (Checking the tournament guidelines...and... 50 baby blacktips X 30 points apiece = 1,500 shark points!) Can we carry that over a couple of weeks? No? Fine...)

We had three lines hooked up more than once. I guess we parked over a new birthing or something. It was crazy. We had a 16 year old boy on with us who has never caught a shark before and by the end of the day he was an old veteran. He accounted for twenty five baby black tips all by himself.

So, no pics worth posting, but two full days of fun in the burning hot sun with friends and family and a lot of tight lines. :cheers:

Mud Minnow

All righty then...

Over in the SmackTalk Thread someone commented that in order to catch sharks, all they have to do is go Trout fishing. Funny, if it weren't soooo true.

Saturday my buddy took us out of Champney, stopped into Two-Way for shrimp then took off to the Hampton River and out to Pelican Spit area. Fished the area of the south bank near the mouth for a couple of hours and caught one 12" trout. Sighted Wharfrat out there with his boy. This gave me the indication that at the very least I was in the right general area, 'cause he ALWAYS catches fish! But it was not to be.

We moved on out to the spit itself and fished inside the south sandbar. then we began a long afternoon of hooking into alternating whiting and sharks. After checking the tournament guidelines I realized we were somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 hundred points...and we were fishing for whiting. :crazy:

Sunday I took my boat out to the north end of Jekyll, inside the sound, on the sandbar and we fished all day right there in that spot. We caught a double handfull of whiting and the rough count we had on 13 to 18" black tips was right around 50...Not exagerating. (Checking the tournament guidelines...and... 50 baby blacktips X 30 points apiece = 1,500 shark points!) Can we carry that over a couple of weeks? No? Fine...)

We had three lines hooked up more than once. I guess we parked over a new birthing or something. It was crazy. We had a 16 year old boy on with us who has never caught a shark before and by the end of the day he was an old veteran. He accounted for twenty five baby black tips all by himself.

So, no pics worth posting, but two full days of fun in the burning hot sun with friends and family and a lot of tight lines. :cheers:

You may not have any pics you feel are worth showing, but it sounds to me like y'all had an action packed day. I always liked catching small sharks on small gear! :cheers:

wharfrat

nice report hntr2k! we did ok just west of where i saw you (4 flatties, and 3 small trout). got a few reds and sharks later further west. you smoked me on the aggregate though! sounds like you'll be in the hunt on the shark tourney, good luck!