Fly Lines

MadDawg51

This is started to allow folks to share tips on the best fly lines and maintaining them. I have been leaving my fly lines wound around the arbor between fishing trips. This evening, I used an 8 wt. warm weather line that hadn't been used in a while. It was not an easy line to fish with because the line had set to the arbor and came off in loops that caught on everything including the rod butt. When in the water, it would not lie straight which would not allow a strong hook set - not that I needed it with those spooked stockers.

So, I come home with questions. What fly lines do not take a set to the arbor over time? Or, what fly lines are more resistant to taking a set? What do you do to care for fly lines when not in use? Do you pull them off the reel and drape them about the house? I might be able to get away with that. But, I know some of you have others living in the house who might object.

Thanks for your thoughts on this curly subject.

MadDawg51

The line I referenced is an older Cortland tropical WF8F. But, I have the same issue to a lesser degree with a Wonderline WF8S. I haven't tried stretching it. I'm just looking for advice as someone new to fly fishing. Thanks for the advice.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've always had good luck with Scientific Angler/3M products. I try (emphasis on "try") to clean my lines at least 2 or 3 times a year with their line cleaner. I don't know if it prolongs their life but it makes them easier to cast. Also, other than stretching to reduce coils, you can lay them out in the Sun and they will relax some.

yaknfish

I've been told, by folks who've been fishing longer than me, to always stretch a line before fishing. I rarely (never) do. But that's what I've been told.

Tightliner

Just use Rio Gold .You will be impressed.

Ditto:

Although: Gold for medium/light action. Grand for faster rods, its .5 over and really helps develop the speed to cut the wind well. I use it on my 6wt Z-axis and it gets the job done on big water and windy days.

I reciently converted my 3wt (LPS)from Gold over to sharkskin, man.... what a difference, can you say distance......... I'm really impressed, fished it a few days last week on the SOHO. It really makes for a great dry fly line, smooth with super presentation( but forget it if you chunk alot of streamers, quite abrasive to the fingers). SS fished fantastic on the LPS but switched it over to the little Z-Axis and wasnt nearly as impressed. For my Z's, Ill stick with Grand! For all around versatility, Gold works well.

Later..................................

Last edited:

KINGFISHER

This is started to allow folks to share tips on the best fly lines and maintaining them. I have been leaving my fly lines wound around the arbor between fishing trips. This evening, I used an 8 wt. warm weather line that hadn't been used in a while. It was not an easy line to fish with because the line had set to the arbor and came off in loops that caught on everything including the rod butt. When in the water, it would not lie straight which would not allow a strong hook set - not that I needed it with those spooked stockers.

So, I come home with questions. What fly lines do not take a set to the arbor over time? Or, what fly lines are more resistant to taking a set? What do you do to care for fly lines when not in use? Do you pull them off the reel and drape them about the house? I might be able to get away with that. But, I know some of you have others living in the house who might object.

Thanks for your thoughts on this curly subject.

Most fly lines will attain memory over time when stored on the spool. Especially "Tropical" lines due to the coating they are manufactured with to keep them from going limp in hot weather. Like its already been said, stretch your fly line before fishing. I do most of my saltwater fishing with "tropical" lines and usually always stretch them before casting. It really makes a big difference. As far as caring for your line, cleaning them every other or every two trips will also help. Sounds like a lot, but it really makes a huge difference when shooting for distance. I think you'll be just fine leaving your line on the spool instead of draping it around the house:) One more thing that will greatly help. Peel off all your fly line and lay it out in a straight line. Starting where it joins your backing, take a cleaning pad or cloth and pinch the line between the pad. Then walk out the twists toward the end of the line. Doing this 3 or 4 times will get out all the twists that accumulate in our line overtime.