Virus Symptoms?

crackerdave

I cannot open my inbox for my e-mail,ever since my wife [who is even more of a computer dummy than me:eek:] tried to open a Facebook account to stay in touch with her son in Iraq.

I get a pop-up saying "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close," and then no e-mail. Can you help?

jonkayak

Opening an account on Facebook shouldn't give your comp a virus it's all the other junk on there that might get your comp.

Boot up in "Safe" mode, and use the restore function to go back to a date before she installed Facebook.

You might run some of the spy-ware programs before doing that.

Just to narrow things down, go to another computer off your network, and try to log into your e-mail. If you don't have a problem doing that you know it's a problem with your computer.

jmfauver

can you open your email from another computer?

wmahunter

Banned
are you using outlook for your email?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Hey Dave,

Drop by the library or someplace you can access another computer try to access your email from there. If you can get in from there folks can help you with the issues you have on your home computer.

crackerdave

are you using outlook for your email?
Yes,on earthlink.
Dave,

If you have another computer you can access facebook or email by typing in the address example www.att.net,they you typeing your user id and password....

Hey Dave,

Drop by the library or someplace you can access another computer try to access your email from there. If you can get in from there folks can help you with the issues you have on your home computer.

I'll try this - thanks,y'all.

HEY! I finally figgered out how to "multi-quote!":fine::rofl:

wmahunter

Banned
I've had my outlook do this also several times in the past. It starts to open then shuts down with a message that it can't open the window. Seems to happen after I have had several things open on the puter at once and then shut down outlook...seems to corrupt the file somehow and I think it is because the puter is processing something else while I shut down outlook.

The solution is to reload office from the disc and the good thing is it does not loose any of my email or settings in the process.

I have been careful to only shut down outlook when everything else is already off and have not had it happen again for several months now. My puter has vista and office 2007...never had this happen with xp and office 2000.

crackerdave

I never have several things open at once [dial-up:rolleyes: ] but there was a message saying the "search database was corrupt" and that all files were being "re-indexed" several times.:huh:

I can check and download my e-mail,but can't go to the inbox without the "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close" thingy.

Fat Daddy

The Restore feature under Start----Accesories----System tools, has saved me on more than a few occasions.
Anytime you have something weird like that happen it's a good idea to run a thorough virus scan and Malwarebytes.