Slate Sealer in shower

modern_yeoman

I have something called Aqua Mix that my sorry Tile Guy left at the house for me to seal...

Very long story but this makes the 3rd time he has been out due to a leaky shower...He tore it out this last time.

Anyhow he told me to put 2 coats on the floor. I have the container. The liquid is a light blue color and appears to be water based. I put 1 coat on and while I was letting it settle I read the back of the label. It said "not recommended for use around pools or showers where standing water could occur. Well, this is a walk-in shower..

My question: Would it be ok for me to buy what I think would be a more suitable sealer and put it over the other one I put one coat of?? Assuming they both are water based?

Thanks in advance,

MY

BoxerLuvr

I'm gonna take a stab at this.

After reading the Aqua Mix website, It appears that your tileman gave you a "topical" sealer and not a "penetrating" sealer. IMHO, it is more suitable for Foyers, Porches, kitchen floors, etc. not showers.

Reason I say it's topical is because they are the only ones that are not suitable around pools/wet areas. http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/aquamixproducts/Sealers/?user=pro&lang=en

Is your slate smooth or rough surfaced ?

I think you would be better off with a penetrating sealer in the shower as opposed to a topical sealer. After a period of time the topical sealer will start to flake and/or show signs of wear.

To answer your question: My question: Would it be ok for me to buy what I think would be a more suitable sealer and put it over the other one I put one coat of?? Assuming they both are water based?
IF the sealer he left you is a topical sealer, the application you have already applied would have to be removed before you could apply a penetrating sealer.