Ford A.C repair

modern_yeoman

I recently bought a 1988 Ford F150. The Air conditioner did not work.

The first thing I did was pull a vaccum down -29 pounds and see if it would hold. It did for 30 minutes. So I was hoping if the compressor was good maybe just charge the system?

It was R12 and had never been converted. I took the plug off accumulator crossed the wires and compressor engaged. I added 3 cans of R12, less than full according to the specs but plenty to start feeling cooler. I did plug the Accumulator back up and the compressor was kicking on and off as if it was low.

But the temp at the vent was blowing 96 degrees.

Any ideas on where to start with the problem? Looking for an order of processes or a starting educated guess.

Thanks.

bnew17

when you find out let me know. my air went out on my 98 f-150 about a year ago. im getting tired of rolling the winders down!

1devildog

You cant determine nothing until you get the system to full charge, then read your gages to know whats going on. The thing I would do, dump the r12, get the high and low side adapters and fill the system with 134, then check it out. Also to note, I have converted many that never needed to flush the system, change out the accumalator or reciever drier, and blew 40 to 45 degree duct temps.