Ohio Hunting Trip

gabowman

My son and I had a great trip to Ohio this past week. We hunted from Saturday morning until Thursday morning and by that time we had tagged out so our week of hunting was over. Four of us in camp saw a total of 75 deer from our stands. I dont even know how many shooter bucks we saw. All I can say is those boys in Ohio has it going on for the bowhunters and with all the agriculture in the area the deer grow BIG in their part of the country. :bounce: The weather ranged from the mid 20's to the mid 50's and we didnt get any rain until Thursday mid day. The rut there is really getting into full swing. We saw alot of bucks roaming the woods and fields anytime during the day and began seeing the big boys chasing does the last couple of days we were there. I cant wait until the week of Nov. 9th again next year. I'll be in Ohio!! :D :bounce: :bounce:

I posted a few pics of the deer we got in the bragging board. Check 'em out.....you might be surprised!

GB

Woody's Janitor

What part of Ohio was you hunting>

Larry Rooks

Out trip was great too, went a week early and the weather was mild. On the two coldest days we had, in the 30's for the low, Bucks walked all day and we saw plenty. I guess I'll have to lower my standards some next year, I always let the bigger ones walk the first couple of days, and then when time gets short, ones smaller than them just stand there beggin to get arrowed.
Can call is a MUST up there too, the single Buicks love em and will come in every time. My guest did get a nice 9 point on the last morning of the hunt, and had let four much bigger bucks walk early in the week. Got some good ones on video too

reylamb

Larry, I know of what you speak in regards to the size standards. In Il I had a buddy let a solid 9 point go, even though it would only go in the mid 120's, only to take a 7 later in the week that was smaller.

I let a mid 120s 8 go in hopes of getting a 170 class 10 pointer that was stomping around in the creekbed. The 120 class 8 would have easily been my biggest bow buck, but I got greedy.

Larry Rooks

It's easy to get greedy when you see seven or eight Bucks a day :p This is my third year coming home from Ohio without releasing an arrow other than practice at the camp. :( but I had a ball all three years :D Next year though, gonna get the big un, left him walking this year to grow some more :clap:

gabowman

I did settle this year with an 8 pter that is to date my largest bow buck. Last year I passed up deer that never would have crossed my mind here.....they'd have been stuck in a New York minute around here. I was the same as you guys and got greedy. I'm happy with the 8 pter I took. I passed up bucks from day one and by Wednesday morning my trigger finger was nearly a rash it itched so much. :D Watching the deer that I shot react to the grunt the way it did was all I needed to help me finish making up my mind, even though initially I had let the buck go by me without drawing. Just because I tagged out this year isnt to say that I wont "settle" again next year, but it'll take one bigger and that will be fine too. There's nothing to even compare with hunting the bruisers in the north country. Kinda ruins the hunting here though. All I can say is ...........COME ON NEXT NOVEMBER!! ...LOL :bounce: :bounce:

GB

gabowman

Larry, I didnt bother carrying "the can" call to Ohio. I never had any luck with it here so I didnt figure it'd do anything there either. 'Course I never had any luck that I know of with the true talker either, but it DEFINITELY works up in Ohio. Did you use the can randomly or when deer was spotted? How far away/close were the deer when you'd use it? Morning or afternoons? I'll be sure to carry mine along next year.

GB