Some help in identifying this tree

DoDahDaze

I believe this is a wild cherry tree.

1. Am I correct?
  2. Is it safe to eat?
  3. What can you do with the fruit? (recipes)

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 417
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 453

SneekEE

it is a wild cherry, and i think the leaves contain cyanide, it can kill a horse.I think you can eat it but it is mostly seed.I tried one long time ago, it was sour also.

DoDahDaze

Thanks for the Answer but

Is it safe to eat? and What do you use it for?

DoDahDaze

Don't think I'll eat the leaves, just the berries. :rofl:

SneekEE

I was editing my other post as you posted yours, sorry. Yeah i believe it is safe. Try googling wild cherry. Like I said, i have eaten a few long time ago, it was sour and mostly seed. Didnt make me sick.I figure people may boil them or somthing for cooking.

Resica

Looks like a Black Cherry to me.

The fruit is suitable for making jam, cherry pies and has some use in flavoring liqueurs; they are also a popular flavoring for sodas and used in many ice creams. The black cherry is commonly used instead of sweet cherries (Prunus avium) in order to achieve a sharper taste. It is also used in cakes which involve dark chocolate such as a Black Forest gateau and as garnishes to drinks like cocktails.[

CAL

Yes,the berries are editable and not sour when ripe.Red in color when green and black when ripe.Your berries in picture are red in color and green in maturity!

knot

it is a wild cherry, and i think the leaves contain cyanide, it can kill a horse.I think you can eat it but it is mostly seed.I tried one long time ago, it was sour also.

X2 on the leaves. Also can put cows down.

flatwoods

Am I correct?
Is it safe to eat?
What can you do with the fruit? (recipes)

Yes
Yes
Whatever your system can handle. Seriously, don't eat too many at once! :biggrin2:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just don't eat the bark, roots or leaves and you'll be fine. The fruit makes really good wine and jelly and is used to flavor things like cough syrup......not really all that good to eat right off the tree, though.

DoDahDaze

Thanks Guys

I'll do my best not to partake of the roots, bark and leaves. :huh: Think I'll try my hand at some wine, have used grapes before and will now expand into the world of cherries. :banana: