Nike irons

stikslinger

anyone here hit the nike vr full cavity irons? seen a great deal on them and wanted feedback before trying out. thanks. i shoot Taylormade r7 draw now and just dont have confidence with them. i dont like them for some reason and it effects my golf.

jmfauver

anyone here hit the nike vr full cavity irons? seen a great deal on them and wanted feedback before trying out. thanks. i shoot Taylormade r7 draw now and just dont have confidence with them. i dont like them for some reason and it effects my golf.

Do you need the draw irons at all? I am not a fan of the Nike irons,when I went to buy a new set I went to the open house at FT.Stewart and hit every new club on the market...I found set I liked and hit well,they even fitted me while I was there,went to my local club maker and he showed me the off brand set for the clubs I wanted..He fit a 7 iron for me in each set.... I hit the off brand farther then the name brand,then I saw the cost of the off brand ,made my choice easy...price difference of $800 for irons ( he made my set 6iron-lob wedge)

stikslinger

no dont really need the draw irons. will be getting rid of those. i actually dont think they promote a draw that much, but maybe its just me. I hit the older cci from nike and really liked those, but went with taylormade anyway. they are good clubs just something about them doesnt agree with me. :huh:

golffreak

We sell them. I have sold around 5 sets and the feedback has not been too good. The biggest complaint I get is that the ball feels heavy coming off of the club face. The second biggest complaint is loss of distance. Everyone that has bought them has lost at least a 1/2 club of distance.

There are much better irons out there for the money.

stikslinger

yeah i was looking at the angles and they are a little more laid open than others. i think that would expain the loss...maybe. i am going to try them out before buying them. have a chance to get them for 359 and just want to check it out. looks like a good club.

rjcruiser

A good price on any golf club is never a good reason to buy it. Kinda like a gun that doesn't shoot straight...every time you use it, you'll be wondering why you bought it.

golffreak

yeah i was looking at the angles and they are a little more laid open than others. i think that would expain the loss...maybe. i am going to try them out before buying them. have a chance to get them for 359 and just want to check it out. looks like a good club.

If they hit well for you, $359 is a great price.

stikslinger

A good price on any golf club is never a good reason to buy it. Kinda like a gun that doesn't shoot straight...every time you use it, you'll be wondering why you bought it.

i agree...but it is a good reason to give them consideration.

golffreak

Mizuno has come a long way. They used to sell only forged or blade irons that were difficult for beginners to use. Now that they have come out with a cavity back that is more forgiving they have been good sellers.

Last edited:

benellisbe

I have a set of Nike VR blades (2 months old) and I absolutely love them. I hit the cavity backs, but went blade instead (based on my game). I tried the Titleist 710MB, Mizuno MP-68 (hated) and an off brand (snake eyes?) and a bunch of cavity backs (callaway, titleist, taylormade, nike, etc). The Nike's (VR Blades) where above what I had expected. I played competitive golf with a set of Nike Pro Combo Tours and they were okay (at best), but the VR blades feel excellent. I have much better control (right to left) than I did with a cavity, although I don't recommend blades unless you are very consistent with your swing. Give them (cavity backs) a shot.

DBM78

Nike makes crap when it comes to golf period end of story. Nike is like the worst clubmaker in the industry. Nike drivers, irons, wedges all stink. I have hit them all. How I rate the top club makers.

The draw irons/woods are for people who have a slice and want to hit it straighter. That is why the face is really closed.

Irons
Taylormade
Callaway
Mizuno
Adams
Titleist
Ping
Nike

Drivers/Woods
Taylormade,Titleist and Callaway are all really close together
Ping
Adams

Nike

The place way to buy golf clubs is on ebay or by going to a real golf store and look over the used/pre owned section. Go to PGA Store, Edwin Watts or Golfsmith don't go to Dicks or Sports Authority to buy golf clubs. You can buy last last years model for at least 50% off orignal price. A lot of the big golf stores have brand new irons and drivers that are from the prevous year or model that can be bought at a big discount.

I use to play a lot of golf growing up and in high school but really don't have the time anymore. I always score around 80 it doesn't matter if I play a couple times a month or couple times a year. I have played 2 rounds this summer shot 81 and 78. Instead of paying $900 for irons take that $900 and put it towards lessons. The price tag on some clubs isn't going to make you play any better.

Last edited:

GAbuckhunter88

When I was in the market for a new set of irons I looked at them and hit them and hated them. They felt terrible to me. I ended up going with the callaway x-22 and love them.

Nerf Warrior

I just bought the Nike Machspeed irons a couple of months ago and I really like them. Increased yardage approx 10 yds plus the ball gets up alot quicker. Good workability. Buttery soft with a solid hit. I guess Ill be playin with these junk clubs for awhile..

stikslinger

I ended up purchasing the Nike Vr Irons. I have to say they are quite nice. The sweet spot might be a touch smaller than my R7's were, but I like it. I know everyone likes callaway and taylormade better, but these just work for me. Guess I'm not so good that I feel a club is gonna hold me back. I think usually the golfer is holding the club back.

golffreak

Glad you like them. I know most of us had bad things to say about them, but all that matters is what you think.

DBM78

I ended up purchasing the Nike Vr Irons. I have to say they are quite nice. The sweet spot might be a touch smaller than my R7's were, but I like it. I know everyone likes callaway and taylormade better, but these just work for me. Guess I'm not so good that I feel a club is gonna hold me back. I think usually the golfer is holding the club back.

My question is why did you buy the Taylormade R7 "draw" irons to begin with?