boat registration

bigsack

so i just bought an older bass tracker,my first boat. now what?
im guessing i need to get the registration put in my name, and i guess the trailer tag? do i do all of this at the tag office? or is their somewhere else i need to go?

i would also like to get insurance for it as well, so about how much should insurance run?

this is all new to me, i just want to be legal.

thanks!

bigsack

Did you get a notarized bill of sale?

notarized? no i didn't think you had to do that anymore? but i did get a bill of sale. i bought it from my uncle, but he wasn't very clear on what exactly i needed to to for this other stuff

earl

Banned
If you can get his old registration it will make it easier . Call DNR in Social Circle with questions.

Bnathanb1982

agreed

notarized? no i didn't think you had to do that anymore? but i did get a bill of sale. i bought it from my uncle, but he wasn't very clear on what exactly i needed to to for this other stuff

yes if you can get his registration card on the boat, it will make your life SO much easier when getting it registered. Also DNR told me that the Bill of Sale had to be notorized OR have it witnessed and that would suffice. Good luck and hopefully you will have an easy time with it.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Go to the DNR Website. They have a form Bill of Sale. Get it filled out signed and at least witnessed. You need the Registration Card of the previous owner. If that is not available you will need the BOS notarized and a letter from the previous owner that the card was lost or destroyed.

That is just for the Boat.

You will need a BOS for the trailer. Take the BOS along with the title or a recent tag receipt to the Tax Collections office and they will issue a tag for the trailer.

It is a good idea to take the trailer with you if you do not
have a title or tag receipt from the previous owner.

Contact your homeowners insurance provider about boat insurance.

Go to the DNR Website. They have a form Bill of Sale. Get it filled out signed and at least witnessed. You need the Registration Card of the previous owner. If that is not available you will need the BOS notarized and a letter from the previous owner that the card was lost or destroyed.

DNR wants all BOS notarized now.

Don't know why, but that's the way that it is.

You really need the plastic registration card.

bigsack

thanks for all the help, i didn't think it was going to be this involved. but he did give me the registration card and the tag receipt for the trailer. but now i gotta go back and make two bills of sale (one for boat and one for trailer)? and have them notarized? ugh, whats with the notary thing? you don't have to do it when you sell a car but you do with a boat. good grief

thanks for all the help, i didn't think it was going to be this involved. but he did give me the registration card and the tag receipt for the trailer. but now i gotta go back and make two bills of sale (one for boat and one for trailer)? and have them notarized? ugh, whats with the notary thing? you don't have to do it when you sell a car but you do with a boat. good grief

That's right, good luck figuring that one out.

You don't have to have the trailer BOS notarized -- doesn't hurt anything, but not necessary.

Back in the day, your tag receipt would have a simple BOS on the back, but I don't think it does now.

What's even weirder, is that on most used fishing boats, the motor is by far and away the most valuable component, and you don't need squat to sell it.

wha