Best eating? Saltwater Gator or Fresh?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I doubt you`ll be able to tell any difference.

crackerdave

It completely depends on what the gator's main food has been. I have eaten meat from one that had been feeding mostly on large freshwater snails,and it had a very "fishy" taste.Others - "taste like chicken!":rofl:

Ihunt

My thoughts-not fact-are this.Freshwater! There is a lot more fatty food available for the freshwater gators.There are not as many hogs and deer to go around in the saltwater.I have watched saltwater gators eat crabs and they are mostly shell.However,I have killed and eaten both and I really could not tell a difference.Maybe Emeril can but not me.

golffreak

I have only had freshwater(at least I think). Makes for a very good meal.

markland

If you want a gator to eat, shoot 1 8ft or less, those are the best eating ones, but then I would think the marsh gators probably are not as good as the inland ones, but I really don't know, I would imagine their diet has more to do with it then anything else.

arrow2

Fresh water by FAR. I took a guy on the Satilla River several years back and will never hunt saltys again. Had alot of red meat and stunk to high h---. I think I washed my hands in gas to get rid of the stink. It may have been a coinsidence but out of the other 30 or so fresh water gators haven't come across it again. As Markland said an 8-9 footer is the best for eats.
Good Luck this year.

seaweaver

Could that have been a bad one?
I have cut a few rank hogs and left them where they lie.

Anyone know how the fat is distributed in the meat?
cw

crackerdave

If you want a gator to eat, shoot 1 8ft or less, those are the best eating ones, but then I would think the marsh gators probably are not as good as the inland ones, but I really don't know, I would imagine their diet has more to do with it then anything else.

Saltwater gators and hogs "graze" on those little black snail-lookin' critters a lot. In both animals,it makes the meat taste fishy. Snails be real plentiful and E-Z to ketch!:D

arrow2

Most fat is in a layer between the tail meat and the loin, some around the legs, but the majority is in the lower part of the tail, mainly the base of the tail I'd say. Don't think it would make good lard.

ALL4HUNTIN

I will tell you this for a fact... As someone who has had a license here in Florida, and helped guide gator hunts for H&H Gator hunts, there is NO comparison from FRESH to FARM RAISED... You eat at a local hang out here in Florida ( Lone Cabbage or Camp Holly where we run airboats) where they have purchased farm raised gator and then taste a fresh harvest on a gator tag, and what a WORLD of difference. We used to have a deal with a resturaunt in Georgia and would bring the Gator up to him when we harvested them (legal as we had licenses to supply) and BOY he loved it. It was the big steak house on the Altahama River.. Where they sell steaks cheap and you go home with more than you ate.. I can not remember the name of it. It was years ago....

Research my post: Hampton & Hampton Gator Hunts in Brevard County Florida....

We actually had people like Brenda Valentine (Bass Pro Shooter) and Bob Folkrod (Bass Pro Shooter and made video's with Dan and Guy Fitzgerald) come down.. There photos are on the site...

ALL4HUNTIN

BANG... Thats it.... I heard that they switched owners or something a while back.. Anyway, there is a difference in fresh and farm raised, but back to the original question.. I know down here the salt in saltwater will blind the gator. They get a haze over their eyes and affects their vision... We deal pretty much in only fresh water gators.. Only salt water gators here are the ones that jump the fence... and get out and streach their legs a little to far...