Stalling Clunker

Fletch_W

Banned
I've got a 94 Saturn that I changed the spark plugs, oil, filter, turned air filter, and topped up transmission fluid today.

Before it goes to the shop Sunday night, does anyone have any ideas?

The symptoms:

In Drive: While idling, Car wants to stall, makes clicking sounds from the motor. That old clunker death sound, if you know what I mean.

In Reverse: Same thing, but takes a couple of seconds to actually go into gear before wanting to stall.

In Park: Sounds rough, but not wanting to stall.

Visual observation with the hood up, the motor is shaking around alot more than a motor should.

There is an oil leak somewhere internal, been that way since we paid $400 for it 6 years ago. No oil spots on the ground, just needs a quart topped off every week or two, depending on use. The crankcase is also very leaky-looking on the outside, while the oil pan is dry.

So..... I've spent over $800 in the last two weeks on automotive problems with the other car. Before I go any further, is there any last ditch ideas from any of you experts? I'd much appreciate them.

Just Jeff

And plug wires

contender*

Do you have a can of ether that you can spray around the intake gasket areas or any other areas having to do with the fuel delivery? Sounds to me like you may have either a vacuum leak or a blown intake gasket.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
mass air flow sensor

Sirduke

Several things to check.

I would start with the plug wires, make sure the firing order is correct. Often happens when changing plugs, you accidently get one crossed up.

Secondly, make sure you didn't accidently knock a vacuum hose off.
If it is idling higher than normal, or running extremely rough, that is usually a vacuum hose.

Good luck

Fletch_W

Banned
$75 diagnostics fee says:

2 of the 4 cylinders have zero compression. I find that odd since it drives totally normal when it's not idling. The mechanic is talking with the owner about scrapping to them, which would pay the diagnostic fee.

Are there any last ditch type of things we can do before doing that? Any additives that seal cylinders or anything like that?

As the car is now, it's drivable as long as you pump the gas at a stoplight. I drove a 77 Impala like that for a couple of years.

Any comments or suggestions? They'd be much appreciated.

My friend's 97 Saturn SL1 has 270K and is still running. It uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Depending on what it would cost, a junkyard motor might not be a bad idea. You may have to drive it as is for a while and save up some money. I certainly wouldn't scrap it over $75 if everything else was good.

there were several years that the intake gasket got damaged on instalation from the factory and over time it begins to leak i dont remember the year models.if you spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner around where the intake connects to the head when its cold the ideling should speed up and if there is a leak there. its usually the #1 cylinder. where the gasket was damaged.

$75 diagnostics fee says:

2 of the 4 cylinders have zero compression. I find that odd since it drives totally normal when it's not idling. The mechanic is talking with the owner about scrapping to them, which would pay the diagnostic fee.

Are there any last ditch type of things we can do before doing that? Any additives that seal cylinders or anything like that?

As the car is now, it's drivable as long as you pump the gas at a stoplight. I drove a 77 Impala like that for a couple of years.

Any comments or suggestions? They'd be much appreciated.

I'd want to know more about that compression check before I did too much more. I can't see a 4 cylinder car acting "normally" with zero compression on two cylinders. It might run, but for sure you would notice a loss of power driving around.

contender*

I'd want to know more about that compression check before I did too much more. I can't see a 4 cylinder car acting "normally" with zero compression on two cylinders. It might run, but for sure you would notice a loss of power driving around.

No doubt, Two dead cylinders would feel like a bad running lawn mower at highway speed. Check that intake!!!

Latest posts