Artefact's

CAL

This is some artefact's my Dad said he picked up at an old indian camp site.Dummy me,I never thought to ask him where it was!Can someone please tell me what I have as I don't have a clue.None of it looks like anything to me.What would be the age of it?Thanks.

LJay

Retired Mod
Nicodemus and Son can tell you. Looks like some pretty good stuff to me.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Artifacts

A better picture would help, but looks like mostly Middle Archaic points/knives dating to about 3400 BC.

flintdiver

That center brown piece looks like a celt. Thats a chopping or woodworking type tool that was hafted almost like an axe. Usually they are made of hardstone and polished (from use)on the bit end, which is the wider end. Hope this helps. A celt is a great find, way rarer than actual points.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea it is a polished celt and it looks to be made of steatite. Those things are a bugger bear to make the old way.

boneboy96

Nick...I am just so astounded at your knowledge of these artifacts that come to be viewed here on Woody's! I'm just in awe! :cheers:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
boneboy96 said:
Nick...I am just so astounded at your knowledge of these artifacts that come to be viewed here on Woody's! I'm just in awe! :cheers:

Thanks, but don`t be in awe. There is a tremendous amount I don`t know. This hobby is a never endin` series of lessons and hard knocks! But it sure is fun to study this stuff and look at artifacts. This is not my original quote, but I`ll use it anyway-99 percent of the worlds history is written in stone. :)