Utah Concealed Weapon Permit in GA

DoDahDaze

Since an out of state resident can receive a "CWP" from Utah and Georgia has written agreement with Utah to honor the permit how many of you have a Utah Permit to carry rather than Georgia?

FF-Emt Diver

I don't.

I'm not sure what you mean either and so keeping with the ON TOPIC of this forum why don't you move it so we can see what you mean.

benellisbe

I believe he is talking about reciprocity (the agreement that GA will honor a UTAH CCW). GWL is honored in several other states in the same manner. I have a GWL and would only consider a Utah if it had a reciprocal agreement with a state that wouldn't honor a GWL.

Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity

Thank you for visiting the Georgia Department of Public Safety website. Georgia reciprocates in recognizing firearms licenses with the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

For additional information about Georgia’s firearms laws, Georgia Code 16-11-(120 thru 134), please click the following link http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

The following link is to the media advisory from the Attorney General’s Office announcing the latest updates to Georgia’s Firearm Permit Reciprocity: http://law.ga.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,87670814_103214659_103850559,00.html.

A non-resident of Georgia to whom has been issued a firearm license by a state listed above may carry a firearm while in Georgia in accordance with Georgia law. A person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a firearm license under O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-129 is not forbidden from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

Edit: If I wanted to carry in Virginia or Ohio for example - I would get a Utah CCW.

aligator

Double check Ga. law. I have a Utah permit and live in Ca. my permit would be honored in a number of states. However, in some states a resident cannot circumvent their state laws by using an out of state permit in their home state.:flag:

benellisbe

Double check Ga. law. I have a Utah permit and live in Ca. my permit would be honored in a number of states. However, in some states a resident cannot circumvent their state laws by using an out of state permit in their home state.:flag:

Utah is honored in GA. However, you must follow GA CCW laws, regardless of your Utah CCW.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you are a Georgia resident you cannot carry on an out of state permit in Georgia. I think that is what you're referring to, here is the code section that addresses it.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a weapon

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give
effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but
only while the licensee is not a resident of this state
; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry
the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

Last edited:

aligator

If you are a Georgia resident you cannot carry on an out of state permit in Georgia. I think that is what you're referring to, here is the code section that addresses it.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a weapon

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give
effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but
only while the licensee is not a resident of this state
; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry
the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

Thank you for citing the code section. That is exactly what I was refering to.