Accutane

hunter #1

Hey I have been taking accutane for almost 2 months now!can some please tell me If u have took this medication and how long it took to start showing any difference.I had know idea where else to put this so I put it under this topic.

Bow Only

You would see a difference by now if it were going to work. IMO, the risks of the medication outweigh it's benefit. Not a good drug if you ask me.

Jason059

I took the stuff for quite some time and it helped with the acne. BUT, it can cause some serious problems. I would recommend switching to something safer. Your dermatologist can help with that, they should be taking your blood and testing it to be sure...

hunter #1

Yes I know it can be a very bad drug, but you have to understand that I have had acne for years. My acne is not just a pimple here and there I have realy bad cystic acne on my back chest and somtimes on my face. It is very painful and this Is my last chance. I get my blood work every month and so far they said it looks great.

Buckbuster

I know 2 people that took accutane and it took a while but it got rid of the acne. That was several yrs. ago and they seem fine now.

The Bell Man

I took it when I was 17, worked great. I was on it for 5 months. I think the acne got worse for the first month or two then by the fifth it was completely gone. I had no side affects other than dry skin and occasional nosebleeds.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
It may take a few months to get it working good. Just be sure you wear sunscreen when outdoors and you might want to keep some chapstick handy.

Bow Only

Yes I know it can be a very bad drug, but you have to understand that I have had acne for years. My acne is not just a pimple here and there I have realy bad cystic acne on my back chest and somtimes on my face. It is very painful and this Is my last chance. I get my blood work every month and so far they said it looks great.

I would reccommend a Vitamin D test. Make sure it is the 25-Hydroxy Vit. D test. I would get a full thyroid profile done showing Free T3 & T4, as well as bound. A Ferritin level wouldn't hurt. I reccommend a full hormone profile be done. Something is causing your cystic acne and unless you test, you can't find out what it is. I could be something as simple as an Adrenal Gland problem.

hunter #1

I am on my 2 month now and it has gotten alot worse than when I started. My lips are very chapped all the time now but it isn't somthing I can't deal with I just can't wait until I see some positive results!

i took the stuff when i was bout 16 or 17 it worked good but be prepared for dry skin in the winter like never before! i get dry skin so bad now it's not funny keep the lotion handy!

turtlebug

Also is there any face washes that are good while taking accutane?

Cetaphil is by far the best cleanser for dry or sensitive skin. You can get it at Walmart and it comes in facial and body form. It moisturizes, cleans well and doesn't dry your skin out. I've got really dry skin and have been using it for years. Wouldn't dream of using anything else.

My son suffers from horrible skin allergies and eczema. It took finding a dermatologist over an hour away who knew how to really manage it and he said Cetaphil would be our best bet for his face along with Dove unscented/sensitive soap and his skin is much better now.

They also make a lotion/moisturizer that is great to use after washing. It's not greasy one bit.

If you're outside a lot, you need to be using a moisturizer with sunscreen in it as well to help with the drying out of your skin caused by the Accutane. :smash:

Etter2

Banned
I took accutane. It's a wonderful drug. I saw results about 3 months in. After that, I probably got one pimple a year. It's incredible how effective it is. Everybody I know that took it has had great results. I didn't have any side effects at all.

Jason059

Not everyone has side effects. I didn't really, but they are now running the commercials about it trying to generate new complaints for the lawsuits. SOMEONE has experienced problems, so just keep a check on it and avoid alcohol and other things that can damage your liver while you take it. Finally, remember that your self image shouldn't revolve around your acne. Somebody'll have a come back, sure, but the reality is that you shouldn't define yourself based on your face and physical appearance. Period. Good luck!

Bow Only

I took accutane. It's a wonderful drug. I saw results about 3 months in. After that, I probably got one pimple a year. It's incredible how effective it is. Everybody I know that took it has had great results. I didn't have any side effects at all.

:banginghe

chapparal

I was on it for a good while when I was younger. Worked like a charm, but like some of the others have mentioned, it dries the skin out pretty bad. Using sunscreen, some sort of chapstick and staying hydrated (64oz water a day or more)helps to cut down on the side effects. After finishing the perscription my skin would get a few breakouts here and there, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

If you ever notice that your emotions get set off more easily and more intensely, you may want to see a doctor. Something I noticed, along with a couple others who were on accutane, was the strong mood swings. When you're up you're really up and if you're down, it feels like the end of the world. Much more than the usual teen mood swings. It's just something to keep in mind.