Scum on truck windshield

chuckb7718

My truck's windshield was sprayed all afternoon Saturday by the water sprinkler. Yesterday after it dried, there's some scummy crap that's all over it and will not come off. I've tried windex and car wash detergent using paper towels, regular newspaper, and a terrycloth rag. The stuff won't budge!
I'm assuming it's lime since we're on well water?:huh:

Any ideas on getting it off?
What about the paint? I'm guessing it's there too, just can't see it for the dirt right now!:bounce:

TimBray

Don't know if it will help w/ a possible lime stain but used to be that Coke would take about anything off a windshield. Friend of mine told me that years ago when my windshield got sprayed w/ diesel fuel or oil on the highway. Washer fluid just smeared it as did soap and water. Poured a can of Coke on it and it came right off. :huh:

Tim

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I can vouch for the coke working. BUT you can also try vinegar, it is supposed to cut stuff too. Nothing worse than trying to see out of a messed up windshield!! Good Luck, Chuck!!:clap:

VisionCasting

Guessing it might be from 'hard water'? Try diluting some CLR and cleaning with that.

Roger T

a wet dryer sheet is jamup for getting bugs & bug guts off the front of cars & trucks,it might work on the lime stain.good luck.

Sugar Plum

Nurse Shuga
Nothing worse than trying to see out of a messed up windshield!! Good Luck, Chuck!!:clap:

X2! One of the little holes on the driver side sprayer is clogged up. I might try some coke or vinegar myself.

I remember hearing the coke thing years ago. Works on a lot of stuff!

georgia357

X2! One of the little holes on the driver side sprayer is clogged up. I might try some coke or vinegar myself.

I remember hearing the coke thing years ago. Works on a lot of stuff!

If you use coke make sure to wash it off of the paint. I heard that it ain't too good for it.

00Beau

0000 steel wool will look brand new, my brother in law owns a body shop and showed me that trick.

DBM78

0000 steel wool will look brand new, my brother in law owns a body shop and showed me that trick.

X2

Yep you beat me to it. It makes them look brand new and will take anything off. I just spray the window with some windex and scrub it with the steel wool.

chuckb7718

Thanks for the replies ya'll, but what about the paint? I can't wash the whole truck in co-cola or steel wool!

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Go to the grocery store and get some Bon-Ami and use that on your windshield. That's what I use to clean mine with before treating with rain-x.