Bed bugs

Jody Hawk

Me and my Mama were sitting here drinking coffee this morning and we got to talking about bed bugs. She said that she remembers my Grandma scalding the beds during the summer. I remember my Uncle Cleve talk about "chinches" as he called them many times. Why don't we hear of bed bugs much anymore?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/#what

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've heard people talk about them and Jr. Sample had a hilarious recording about them.

gadeerwoman

There was a news story on one of the tv stations about them a year or so ago and how some of the big expensive hotel/motel chains were seriously infested. hold on, gotta scratch, something is biting me!!!!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bed Bugs

Jody Hawk said:
Me and my Mama were sitting here drinking coffee this morning and we got to talking about bed bugs. She said that she remembers my Grandma scalding the beds during the summer. I remember my Uncle Cleve talk about "chinches" as he called them many times. Why don't we hear of bed bugs much anymore?

A number of things working in concert attributed to Bed Bugs becoming a non factor in the average household.

In times past, housing quality was not what it is today. Cracks, nooks, and crannies abounded in housing, poviding numerous breeding and hiding places.

There were virtually no insecticides in existence prior to WWII. If the bugs were found, they were doused with kerosene. With the advent of DDT and numerous other insecticides, life of a Bed Bug became a hazardous one.

The coming of electricity brought running hot water and washing machines. This increased the sanitation factor for bedding and clothing.

There is a close correlation between Bed Bugs and Head Lice. When I was a small child, I can recall being warned to stay away from certain named individuals, because they had head lice. Children who had head lice would likely have slept on bedding which harbored Bed Bugs.

My Wife, being a school teacher, has told of instances where children who were from prominent families and had come to school with Head Lice. Their mothers could never believe their child harbored such an infestation. Stuff happens.

tom turkey 2x2

bedbugs

I work for a pest control company, and in the last year we have had several classes on bedbugs, they are coming back!! one cause of the increase of bedbugs is the increased travel to europe, people staying in motels in foriegn countries and bring the bedbugs back in clothing and suitcases. These pestd are very hard to find and even know you have them! They do bite but are to detect unless you are allerigic. what gets me is they have to have human blood! They are very secertive tiny bugs that like to hide uner the bed frame in any rough spot(rough as in not smooth piece of woof ) avoid light. so it is possible to have them for a period of time without knowing it.

sandhill93

tom turkey 2x2 said:
I work for a pest control company, and in the last year we have had several classes on bedbugs, they are coming back!! one cause of the increase of bedbugs is the increased travel to europe, people staying in motels in foriegn countries and bring the bedbugs back in clothing and suitcases. These pestd are very hard to find and even know you have them! They do bite but are to detect unless you are allerigic. what gets me is they have to have human blood! They are very secertive tiny bugs that like to hide uner the bed frame in any rough spot(rough as in not smooth piece of woof ) avoid light. so it is possible to have them for a period of time without knowing it.

So the bedbugs are nocturnal feeders? Aint that weird.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
sandhill93 said:
So the bedbugs are nocturnal feeders? Aint that weird.
Wanna go spotlighting for em?:biggrin2:

sandhill93

maybe these evolutionists will suppose that the bedbugs transformed into night feeders because that is when most of us sleep.