Reggie Brown hit

BigMassiveDaddy

Every complaint I've heard has come from UGA fans. Listen to sports radio and you'll hear other teams fans feel that it was legal and unlucky. Also, listen to sports radio and you'll hear past players say the hit was legal and unlucky things like this happen when playing football. Also, I work at a high school with football coaches that are UGA fans. They even say that was unlucky and the hit was legal. Good grief.

I'll remember this game as a win against the dawgs. And that's what it was. Not another game with a missed call. Give the win justice and don't hold on to the wrong thing.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Buzz

Legal or not legal, it was still a hit that you hate to see put on a guy. I hope he's OK. This coming from a Tech fan that doesn't exactly have a lot of love for UGA.

Jody Hawk

That hit could have been a career ending blow at the least. It looked alot worse than it turned out to be, glad that Reggie is O.K.

H

HT2

Bmd......

Was it illegal????

I don't think so.....

Was it necessary to go "helment to helment" to put Brown down?????

I don't think so......

I hope Brown is alright......That was a "nasty" hit......

That player for Auburn (whoever he was) better get that out of his system if he's playin' in the "NFL"......That hit would have cost him a few thousand bucks!!!!!!!!!! :speechles

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
You can't lead w/ the crown of your helment. PERIOD.

It would not have changed the outcome. I'm not whinning. The defeat was complete.

The hit was not legal & a flag should have been thrown.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I agree with Jeff. Should have been a flag, but it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. Georgia had a pretty big hole to make it out of at that point, and Auburn's offense didn't look to be giving in too much.

:flag:

MCG DAWG

Banned
Hit was by definition illegal . ..

. . see the rules I'll list below straight from the NCAA website. However, happened so quick really tough for an official to see if he lead with his head or with his facemask like he should have. Like I said before, best team won but this was a very bad no-call. Rosegreen is lucky he isn't paralyzed.

Here's a link to a pic of a vicious hit that was legal. Note the facemask is in the player's chest.

http://www.dawgnation.net/misc/dawg.../Picture/0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Here's the rule(s).

1)Intentional helmet-to-helmet contact is never legal, nor is any other blow
directed toward an opponent’s head. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified.

2)
l. No player intentionally shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to
butt or ram an opponent (A.R. 9-1-2-XVI).
m. There shall be no spearing (A.R. 9-1-2-XVII).
n. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or the top
of his helmet.

Last edited:

Ga-Spur

We got beat fair and square . The guy that hit Brown should have been ejected from the game for flagrant spearing.

MCG DAWG

Banned
Jody, Brown had a concussion . .

. .which was something inside his brain. Not likely to result in a catastrophic injury. Leading with the crown or TOP of the helmet leads to NECK injuries which can sever or seriously injure the spinal cord. Rosegreen had BY FAR a much higher risk of injury with that play. They should use film of it to show kids how NOT to tackle.

Remember Chucky Mullins from Ole Miss and the Penn State player from last year? That's how both of them were paralyzed.

Dog Hunter

Jeff Young said:
You can't lead w/ the crown of your helment. PERIOD.

It would not have changed the outcome. I'm not whinning. The defeat was complete.

The hit was not legal & a flag should have been thrown.
I am with Jeff. The play did not change the outcome. But the head was not legal. The defender led with his helmet and also hit the Brown in the head.

At least we did not have someone like Kansas's coach going off.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Being a Georiga fan, I don't think the Auburn player would have done it on purpose. It could have hurt him just as bad. Being from Reggie's home town I got to see him play highschool ball and he was awesome. His grades ended up hurting him, but now that he has made it I hope this does not hurt his career.

Heathen

I don't think the out come would be any different, but I do think there should have been a penalty for the head to head contact. These guys have played ball long enough to know how to and how not to tackle some one. He sure seemed like he could have been trying to hurt someone. :mad:

TurkeyCreek

it probably should have been a penalty, but i doubt it was intentional. both players were going full speed, directly at each other and up in the air.

also don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game except that maybe uga would have scored another TD or FG.

just glad that reggie is ok and i think that the AU players and fans showed alot of class.

Bow Only

It was not intentional. Their heads collided from the side. Junior was coming in at an angle and hit Reggie in the temple. Very unfortunate, but I don't think warrants a flag. If a flag was thrown at every unintentional helmet to helmet contact, the game would never end. It is a violent game and Reggie was hit in a spot at an angle that most people aren't hit. Think about how many times helmets touch in football. Rosegreen and Brown were just running full speed when it happened.

beginnersluck

As a high school football coach and a Georgia fan, I can say it was a perfect hit. How can someone NOT lead with the head if they are in a running position? It's gonna happen. If Reggie Brown was on the ground and the DB led with the head, that's a different story. TEXTBOOK tackle on a skinny post by the safety! That's what you want a safety to do. Reggie will be ok and that kind of hit is just part of the game. It's a gamble!

beginnersluck

MCG DAWG said:
. . see the rules I'll list below straight from the NCAA website. However, happened so quick really tough for an official to see if he lead with his head or with his facemask like he should have. Like I said before, best team won but this was a very bad no-call. Rosegreen is lucky he isn't paralyzed.

Here's a link to a pic of a vicious hit that was legal. Note the facemask is in the player's chest.

http://www.dawgnation.net/misc/dawg.../Picture/0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Here's the rule(s).

1)Intentional helmet-to-helmet contact is never legal, nor is any other blow
directed toward an opponent’s head. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified.

2)
l. No player intentionally shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to
butt or ram an opponent (A.R. 9-1-2-XVI).
m. There shall be no spearing (A.R. 9-1-2-XVII).
n. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or the top
of his helmet.
I played strong safety in college and I'm here to tell you, it's hard to get a facemask to chest on a tackle coming from the side, much less a chest to chest, shoulder or whatever else you deem legal. I'm all for GA, but that was not an ILLEGAL tackle. Give the kid a break.

LKennamer

Clean hit

I too played DB in high school, as well as running back...I have been on the giving and receiving end of similar hits, none of which were intentional to my knowledge. At that level, players move faster and are WAY bigger than we were...it's going to happen sometimes. Anytime you get hit in the ear hole that hard, the helmet compresses (it's about the only place it will bend). That said, the only time I was knocked out in a game was from a head on helmet collision. Kinda scary, but it is part of the game. It was great to see Reggie walk off, he's a great player with a great future ahead of him. Those two may meet again in the NFL, possibly on the same team.