PDA

View Full Version : Coon Trapping in N. GA

Flaustin1
08-28-2010, 05:05 PM
With such a healthy population of coons does anyone know why we cant trap them in the northern zone?

Vernon Holt
08-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Coon hunters have a strong lobby with the "good ol' boys" in Atlanta.

famlytraprz
08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Coon hunters have a strong lobby with the "good ol' boys" in Atlanta.

Exactly, you would'nt believe how many coon hunters offer to buy coons from me too!

Alaska
08-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Agree with VH on this one, I hear it was (years ago) a politician from north Georgia that was "persuaded!" I plan to speak my voice in Ringgold on 1/4/11 at the DNRWRD public meeting! To find one near you check page 54 of your 10/11 season regulation magazine.

krittergitter
08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
i hope thay do something soon its so hard to miss coons when im water trapping

javery
08-28-2010, 10:22 PM
No shortage of them here either.

famlytraprz
08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
i hope thay do something soon its so hard to miss coons when im water trapping
This issue has been brought up at our GTA board meetings and I know its went high up in the DNR heirarchy. No trapping on all state WMA's is at the top of our list also. We can trap on National Forests but not on WMA's, go figure. I'll let you all know if any changes are coming.

Flaustin1
08-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Keep us updated famlytraprz. If you need signatures to help move these ideas along just post it.

gkdir
08-29-2010, 12:28 PM
With such a healthy population of coons does anyone know why we cant trap them in the northern zone?

Oh man, the opportunity to spout off is unreal--but I'll play nice.

GA DAWG
08-29-2010, 12:54 PM
If north ga has sooooooooo many coon..Why is the limit 1 unlike the southern coon zone where its 3..Anybody that thinks north GA is over run with raccoons is off their rocker!!! I think hunters do a great job at keeping them in check..Maybe to good a job! I've hunted them everywhere and north ga is the bottom of the barrel for coon populations in the united states...Which it want bother me if I can trap them..I'll catch them and relocate them to where I hunt..OH YEAH! Thats why its illegal to trap coons in north Ga to begin with..Spreads disease! I guess it will never be legal:D

redneck_billcollector
08-30-2010, 08:14 PM
The Coon hunting lobby, for along time houndsmen were more anti-trapping than PETA. The houndsmen got legholds outlawed in Florida during the late 70's and tried to in south Georgia in the late 70's too. I was president of the now defunct South Georgia Trappers Assoc.(joined the Ga. Trappers Assoc. while I was away in the army) in 1979 and every public hearing I went to in south Ga. about trapping, the most vocal folks for outlawing it was houndsmen. I tried reasoning with them, I love hound dogs and hunted deer, bobcats, foxes and bear with them in N. Florida during that time frame but there was no talking to them.

During that time frame in North Ga. I would go to public hearings about trapping coon to support my north Georgia fellow trappers, and the hearings would be mobbed with coon hunters and they would literally threaten folks showing up in support of trapping. I like to coon hunt and most years we allow a course to be on our property when they hold the nationals in Albany, fortunately most houndsmen now realize that their sport is under attack and in many cases by deer hunters and other non-dog hunters. I always support the houndsmen at any hearings on the subject I go to and tell them the same things I did back during the late 70's when they were the main force behind attempting to outlaw trapping in Ga. and their successful attempt in Florida. That is, we have enough problems with PETA, the Humane Society, and all other whacko anti-hunting, all animals are people too groups, we need to all stick together and take up for any outdoors persons hunting rights, trapping rights and fishing rights....because the real enemy's agenda is to outlaw all that we love in the outdoors. As for coons in N Ga. I know a few folks who make a decent living trapping problem coons north of Atlanta. They are there, maybe not where folks can run hounds but surely where folks should be able to trap them.

Vernon Holt
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
In my mind there is absolutely no basis for allowing coonhunters to participate in their sport, while at the same time slamming the door on coon trapping.

N.GA may not have the numbers of Raccoons that S.GA has, but it certainly has a healthy population. The reason for this is simple. The Raccoon is an animal of the wetlands, feeding upon frogs, salamanders, crawfish, mussels, insects, fish, and turkey eggs.

S.GA has an abundance of wetlands. As can be expected it has an abundance of Raccoons.

N.GA has much less wetlands, and consequently fewer coons, when compared with other regions.

The important point is that the N.GA Raccoon population is an under-utilized resource under the current regs, and will remain so for as long as trappers are unjustly denied access to this resource.

Much is said on these Forums about the need to introduce youngsters to the sport of hunting. The same can be said in behalf of trapping, when and where it is legal.

I well remember some of the most exciting experiences of my lifetime occurred in the 1930's and early 1940's, when as a young lad I ran a trapline of rabbit "boxes" and a few steel traps. I never knew what "an allowance" was, but I didn't need it since I earned my own spending money by trapping. Most of my earnings were spent on 22's and a half box of 16 gauge shells.

Several instances of rabid raccoons have occurred in Gilmer County this year. This is a good indication that the coon population needs to be reduced. Trapping is a practical way of accomplishing this.

I no longer trap, and have never coon hunted. It seems to me to be unjust to allow one group access to the resource, while at the same time denying the other.

shakey gizzard
08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
If north ga has sooooooooo many coon..Why is the limit 1 unlike the southern coon zone where its 3..Anybody that thinks north GA is over run with raccoons is off their rocker!!! I think hunters do a great job at keeping them in check..Maybe to good a job! I've hunted them everywhere and north ga is the bottom of the barrel for coon populations in the united states...Which it want bother me if I can trap them..I'll catch them and relocate them to where I hunt..OH YEAH! Thats why its illegal to trap coons in north Ga to begin with..Spreads disease! I guess it will never be legal:D

I gots em thick!:D

famlytraprz
08-30-2010, 11:40 PM
I agree with VH and RBC, I support coon hunting as well other dog hunting groups, but as you see above, few coonhunters support trapping. I also disagree with the no coons in North Ga, I travel by train everyday or night through N.G and its not uncommon to see 15-20 coons in a night crossing the tracks.

Throwback
08-30-2010, 11:48 PM

the same reason the deer season ends jan 1 up there and jan 15 in south georgia--politics.

I know virtually every coon hunter in my area. The overwhelming majority of them kill so few coons I don't even know why they call it coon hunting, they should rename it coon RUNNING.

The idea that north georgia can't sustain the trapping harvest of a small handfull of trappers is a laughable notion. THink about all the areas that you CANNOT coon hunt on for logistical reasons such as small pieces of property, lack of permission anywhere near there, etc. there is no reason that it can't be done other than politics, ignorance and the selfishness of a very few dog hunters.

T

Flaustin1
08-31-2010, 12:45 AM
I didnt start this thread so that houndsmen could bash trappers. i would actually like a little respect on our opinions. we do not bash your ways. That being said i support hound hunting and have done it quite a few times. In my co. we have a very large coon population and as Throwback said, its hard to keep the population in check when you have 2-3 acre lots and not enough room to run dogs. Every creek pond and swamp around my part has new fresh coon tracks around them every morn. it would be great if we could share this resource.

Flaustin1
08-31-2010, 12:49 AM
By the way Ga. Dawg as far as the spreading disease thing goes, trapping would actually help reduce that simply because the coons we trap would be killed and pelted, not relocated as you mentioned. And i am firmly on my rocker.

coggins
08-31-2010, 08:10 AM
As an avid coon hunter i'll admit i'm still pretty new to the sport. However, it surprised me to learn here that hound hunters were fighting trappers! I feel very strongly that ALL outdoorsmen/hunters/trappers have equal rights. As has already been said, especially in North Ga, their are numerous places on small tracts of land that we cannot hunt with our dogs so why the opposition to some trappers getting in there and doing there thing?:huh: I'll say that a lot of the places we coon hunt, they do seem pretty thin at times, but I personally think a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that any big tract of land that hound hunters can run are becoming increasingly rare in our area. The problem is not a lack of coons but a lack of hunting spots. I can only speak for myself but i'd never argue a trapper's right to practice their sport the same as I practice mine.

GA DAWG
08-31-2010, 09:35 AM
I will join in with the trappers just as soon as the deer hunters join in with the hound hunters! :D

Throwback
08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
I will join in with the trappers just as soon as the deer hunters join in with the hound hunters! :D

fwiw I support my local dog hunters fully

T

GAGE
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
It is discouraging, I have trail cam pics over feeders with 8-12 coons grazing on the corn.

redneck_billcollector
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
I am a deer hunter and I always support houndsmen. The assault on hound hunting right now is similar to the houndsmens' assault on trappers during the 70's. I, for one am not being childish and saying "turn about is fair play" I support houndsmen at every chance even though I haven't hunted with hounds except for the odd coon hunt since the very early 80s. Some of the exact same organizations that supplied the houndsmen with anti-trapping propaganda are the same folks helping deer hunters with anti-hound hunting propaganda. The anti's believe in divide and conquer, we best realize that and all stand together or else our grandchildren will not have the chance to enjoy what we take for granted.

The attitude of I will support trappers as soon as deer hunters support hound hunting sounds like some kindergarten logic that the antis are only happy to encourage.

As for spreading disease trapping controls it, within years of outlawing leghold traps in Fla. they had the worst outbreak of rabies they had ever recorded. Sickness is nature's way of limiting population growth and is prevalent in populations that are too big. I will bet you a penny to a dollar not one of the probably thousands of coons I have trapped in my nigh on 50 years of life have ever spread any sickness, I don't know how a case skinned coon would or could. You can almost track rabies with the fluctuations in the fur market, when you can't give a coon hide away there are many more cases of it, when coon hides are worth something you seldom hear of rabies.

Nicodemus
08-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Ben Franklin said it best...

redneck_billcollector
08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
You got that right Nick. I, for one, do not want to see any outdoor sports figuratively "hung" over infighting.

GA DAWG
08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Look guys....I'm just messing around..All but the part about north GA not having a great coon population..I'm not waivering on that..Some places in and around subdivisions prolly do but for the most part.Thats not where the trapping is going to happen either..I'd be sick as crap if a trapper came on my club and trapped 10 coon a year off it..Heck thats probably all thats on it..Like TB said earlier..I dont shoot but a couple a year off it..Its no fun to hunt if you dont have anything to chase..In my opinion..North Ga can not substain a trapping season like middle and south ga..Sure it might in a few spots but not all over and who decides where a person gets to trap? Not me..I'll help a trapper out on anything but this..Come trap anything on my place but coons..This is one I'll have to fight.I hate it because I really know we need to stick together but coon hunting is in my life blood and it will never leave..Maybe I could be convinced to a real short coon trapping season..

dawnvilledawg
08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Would it not be cheaper to allow trapping raccoons than to fly over northern countys every year dropping medicine tablets to prevent diseases. I see as meny raccoons dead in the road as I do opossums anymore.

Nicodemus
08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
You got that right Nick. I, for one, do not want to see any outdoor sports figuratively "hung" over infighting.

Me neither. More than ever, we all need to form a strong united front.

redneck_billcollector
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Most coon trapping would be done on farm land, and all coon trapping would be done with permission. If they legalize coon trapping in N. Ga. there won't be any done on your land Ga Dawg unless someone gave them legal permission. The problem in N. Ga. ain't over hunting or over trapping, it is the mature forrest on most public land up there, mature forrest ain't really the best habitat for many animals other than woodpeckers and squirrels. Yall need more forrest fires and / or small clear cuts, if yall got that there would be more deer, coon, grouse and rabbits for everyone to enjoy. Another thing is yall could encourage more beaver, they make good habitat for dang near every varmint out there.

Heck, you can come down here and get all the coons you want, my bird dogs chase coons out of my yard a couple of times a week, or at least tree them. If you ever get down this way contact me you can run your dogs on some flint river property we have in Mitchell County, the nationals run a course on our property on years when the river ain't got half our land under water. I will tell you this though, if cat prices are up there might be a few traps set out though. My brother would know where they are set and stear ya away from them though. One thing coon hunters down here have to deal with that yall don't up there is gators, I imagine there have been a few walkers or blueticks eaten by them swamp lizzards in my neck of the woods.

GA DAWG
08-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Most coon trapping would be done on farm land, and all coon trapping would be done with permission. If they legalize coon trapping in N. Ga. there won't be any done on your land Ga Dawg unless someone gave them legal permission. The problem in N. Ga. ain't over hunting or over trapping, it is the mature forrest on most public land up there, mature forrest ain't really the best habitat for many animals other than woodpeckers and squirrels. Yall need more forrest fires and / or small clear cuts, if yall got that there would be more deer, coon, grouse and rabbits for everyone to enjoy. Another thing is yall could encourage more beaver, they make good habitat for dang near every varmint out there.

Heck, you can come down here and get all the coons you want, my bird dogs chase coons out of my yard a couple of times a week, or at least tree them. If you ever get down this way contact me you can run your dogs on some flint river property we have in Mitchell County, the nationals run a course on our property on years when the river ain't got half our land under water. I will tell you this though, if cat prices are up there might be a few traps set out though. My brother would know where they are set and stear ya away from them though. One thing coon hunters down here have to deal with that yall don't up there is gators, I imagine there have been a few walkers or blueticks eaten by them swamp lizzards in my neck of the woods.We have 2000+ ac leased 10 mile south of cordele..I hunt there A LOT..Aint run into any gators yet but I know they are there..I go to the hunt in Albany..Do ya'll just guide for the heck of it? We have a guy that lives right on the flint down there that can guide us..I bet you know him..I'll atleast try and look you up while we are down there this year..One other thing.We cant even kill but 1 coon per night as opposed to the southern coon zones 3...Still you all think that the northern coon zone can support a full trapping season?

redneck_billcollector
08-31-2010, 08:10 PM
My brother guides during the nationals on our property for the heck of it, I will at times too. My brother lives on the river right below redbluff near Baconton, that is where our land is. Might be him you are talking about if you ever drew our land when it is not flooded too bad. This past year we had too much water just like most folks, the reason I normally don't guide is we have the celeb quail hunt in albany at the same time most years and I am hunting it if I get lucky and get an invite at one of the plantations.

I think north Ga. could support a trapping season on small parcels of property in more built up areas where there are more coons. As a teenager I trapped more coons in west albany in suburbs and small woodlots than I ever did on my farm trap lines or timber land trap lines, coons like built up areas and that is where most of them are. It is funny though, while trapping there is no limit, heck, I get asked to trap coons year round down here for bounty on quail properties all the time, my real job doesn't allow me the time though. I am an attorney and I have yet to meet a judge that lets you out of court cause you have a trap line that needs running. There actually is a big call for full time trappers down here since the feds busted alot of the plantations for poison eggs a few years back. Down here, on many of the properties, coons have the reputation of yotes up in North Ga do with fawns, as quail egg theives and chick killers. On the big properties down here it is all about quail.

Throwback
08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
gadawg,

you can't tell me that carroll county has less coons than troup or meriwether, yet, carroll is in the northern zone, for hunting and trapping.

as a general rule, when you see a line drawn on game and fish seasons/regulations, that is a POLITICAL line, not a management line.

example--the old northern/southern zone quail season. it was purely so a certain powerful legislator could quail hunt later in the season (northern zone).

Also, those nuisance raccons in/near neighborhoods? they are trapped here in those areas and probably there under nuisance permits.

T

GA DAWG
08-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Carroll county may have a few..Maybe they need to draw a line further north..No telling how many coons are illegally trapped now.. A coon dont know you have set a trap for a possum or fox or beaver..Why would anybody want to trap them..These southern coon hides are virtually worthless anyhow..Where do these nuisance coons end up anyhow? I could use a few:D

Nicodemus
08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Carroll county may have a few..Maybe they need to draw a line further north..No telling how many coons are illegally trapped now.. A coon dont know you have set a trap for a possum or fox or beaver..Why would anybody want to trap them..These southern coon hides are virtually worthless anyhow..Where do these nuisance coons end up anyhow? I could use a few:D

There was a time when I was gettin` $20 apiece for coonhides, down here. But that was in another time. I bet ol Redneck Bill Colllector remembers too. :D

Throwback
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM

why would anyone want to spend thousands of dollars on dogs and equipment and practically never kill one? ;):D:D

T

GA DAWG
08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
why would anyone want to spend thousands of dollars on dogs and equipment and practically never kill one? ;):D:D

T

Atleast when I leave it lives to be treed another day..Are you telling me they are gonna practice trap and release...If so I'm all for that:clap::yawn:

Flaustin1
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
So you never shoot any. if thats the case i can almost and i stress almost see your point of view. 95% of the coon hunters i know just shoot the thing and throw it in a ditch somewhere after there dogs chew on it a bit. Im not sayin that all coonhunters do that just the ones in my area that i know. Heck they could keep the limit at 1 per day for trapping for all i care. I would just like the oppurtunity to expand my small trapline and get the experience and fun out of it.

redneck_billcollector
08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
There was a time when I was gettin` $20 apiece for coonhides, down here. But that was in another time. I bet ol Redneck Bill Colllector remembers too. :D

I remember those days well Nick, heck even the country buyer that used to buy hides at Moreland's store at the corner of Philema and GA32 (had the best b.b.q. goat and sadly long gone now) gave good money for coons, heck that was good money back then. Cats were the top dollar, with otters a close second, but I do miss those days when a coon got you upwards to 20 and sometimes even more. If you had 7 or 8 dozen victors or montgomery 1 1/2 coils or my favorite coon trap the ol' #11 dls you could make more money than most anyone at their regular job on an average week on coons alone, throw in them 40 dollar fox and nice spotted cats and you was in high cotton. Heck, we even got money for our beaver pelts. Now-a-days the best money or only money for a Ga. beaver is freeze them and sell'em to taxidermist in the midwest where everyone wants a mounted beaver but they aint got many to trap. For coons you can get a little bit for the meat on the south side of town and some folks will pay ya for the abrahams. I reckon you and Ben would have a good market for tanned coon hides at yalls primative shows yall go to. You know, real coon skin caps and such. Oh yeah, speaking of #11dls traps, they are a great otter trap, you don't need no #4 or #3 for them, those lil double long springs will hold an otter til the second coming. Make you a pocket set and use mink musk and you will catch you some otters, don't know why but mink musk will call an otter like nothing else. I have probably caught more otters with those than I have with conibears over the years, and I have caught more than my fair share of otter back in the day, heck when the price got up on them a few years ago I got permission to trap lake chehaw and I made some good beer money with otters, they were bringing around 100.00 a pelt (I have been known to drink alot of beer) when those chinese were buying up all the pale southern otter. Every lil island had a pocket set or two back then...with lil #11dls, had more of them set than 220s.

Some plantations are paying upwards to 15 dollars bounty on coons now one of my full time trapping buddies was telling me. Paying good money for possums too.

Alaska
08-31-2010, 11:46 PM
oddly enough AL,TN , NC , and SC have no restrictions on trapping racoons in the areas that border our state and some have very liberal bag limits. So either their Biologists are not in agreement with ours , or the racoons know these state boundries, or there is some other motive of GA law!

Throwback
08-31-2010, 11:48 PM
oddly enough AL,TN , NC , and SC have no restrictions on trapping racoons in the areas that border our state and some have very liberal bag limits. So either their Biologists are not in agreement with ours , or the racoons know these state boundries, or there is some other motive of GA law!

I will take option #3 for the win!

T

poolecw
09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
What is a decent coon pelt going for these days? My uncle made enough money trapping and coon hunting back in the 1980's to buy a new motorcycle and a used truck one year.

As an outdoorsman, I respect a trapper's right to trap coon. I don't thnk the market is paying much these days, so I doubt that trappers will put a hurting on the population.

One comment that I find amusing is the false comment that north GA has a huge population of coon. I will be the first to tell you that is not the case. I grew up coon hunting in southeast ga, but now live in northwest ga. Coon are very thin where I live now. It is nothing compared to the south ga poplulation.

One thing that does concern me is trapping on national forest land. I feel this puts my hounds at risk for potential serious harm. I do not think that traps should be placed on public land. I have had dogs caught in leg traps before while hunting, so I know that there is a legitimate concern.

GA DAWG
09-04-2010, 08:24 PM
What is a decent coon pelt going for these days? My uncle made enough money trapping and coon hunting back in the 1980's to buy a new motorcycle and a used truck.

As an outdoorsman, I respect a trapper's right to trap coon. I don't thnk the market is paying much these days, so I doubt that trappers will put a hurting on the population.

One comment that I find amusing is the false comment that north GA has a huge population of coon. I will be the first to tell you that is not the case. I grew up coon hunting in southeast ga, but now live in northwest ga. Coon are very thin where I live now. It is nothing compared to the south ga poplulation.

One thing that does concern me is trapping on national forest land. I feel this puts my hounds at risk for potential serious harm. I do not think that traps should be placed on public land. I have had dogs caught in leg traps before. While hunting, so I know that there is a legitimate concern.I guess its just us that hunt them every night that dont know what the population is:bounce::bounce:

Murphy
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
We got em down here for sure GADawg next time ya come down:bounce: let me know a little ahead of time ill round you up a care package to take home with ya :D

Daddy Rabbit Kennels
09-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Say, I enjoyed this Post very much, and the only comment that I have is when someone mentions, that the season in North, Ga. is Closed Jan. the 1st. and not the 15th. I think it was Throwback?

I hope it Will Stay That Way, for another, 10 to 15 years, then I will be too old to run them Rabbits!!

I am with GaDog, about shooting anything if you not Going Too eat it! I let many Rabbits pass on By, run him Another Day !

Keep Looking Up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Coastie
09-05-2010, 06:56 AM
What is a decent coon pelt going for these days? My uncle made enough money trapping and coon hunting back in the 1980's to buy a new motorcycle and a used truck one year.

One thing that does concern me is trapping on national forest land. I feel this puts my hounds at risk for potential serious harm. I do not think that traps should be placed on public land. I have had dogs caught in leg traps before while hunting, so I know that there is a legitimate concern.

The market for coons from region 3 (the southeast except for Florida) is very low, the latest report from NAFA did not even mention a dollar amount for coons from here in the south east, only that the "meat markets in the south are again expected to be good"
Those from the northern zones are looking pretty good this year and Otter prices are starting to recover but as far as I'm concerned trapping coons isn't worth the bother.

redneck_billcollector
09-05-2010, 07:07 AM
I get the impression that folks on here are thinking that coon populations are even over a geographical area, they ain't. In the farm land around the Savannah River drainage near Hartwell there are plenty coons. In suburban Atlanta there are plenty too. Where ever there is food you will have coons. You get into the National Forrest you are not going to have as many. Coon will live in mature forrest, just like deer, but you won't have many. Turn that land into broken wood lots and fields and the coon population will take off, just like deer will too. Most of your trapping is going to be farm land trapping, the reason being, there are more animals to trap. A trapper is going to go broke trapping mature forrest in the south, there simply ain't much in the way of target animals, give me a river swamp next to a clear cut and I will have bobcats, grey fox and coons along with beaver and otter to trap. All land trapping is done for animals that eat other animals, either full time or at least some of the time (coons being the main exception on being a primary predator). Mature forrest don't have the food for coons, you could stop all taking of coons in the mature forrest and you would not get a larger population, that is not the case as soon as you get out of that forrest. You get in to the other habitats besides the mature hardwood forrest in the north Georgia zone and I would imagine sickness and other non-harvest related activities take the vast portion of coons before old age. Not because somehow coon hunters have an impact on the population, but because the type of habitat in north Georgia that would have alot of coons is not the best habitat for folks to run coon hounds. However that habitat is ideal for trapping. 10 to 50 or so acre properties are just going to have more coons because of the food availability and is more suited to trapping than hunting with hounds, I can set steel on a 10 acre property but I doubt I could run dogs on it and wouldn't, especially if I didn't have permission on the surrounding properties. Also most of the private property holdings in non-urban north Georgia aren't gonna be big enough for dog hunting but they are big enough to set a couple of traps on and those small properties are where the coon populations are going to be their best, they are where the berry patches are, they are where the deer feeders are, they are were the corn fields are, they are where the drainage ditches are, they are where the fish ponds are, basically those small properties are where the best coon habitat is.

With all that being said, the trappers generally ain't gonna be trapping those forrest, they are going to be trapping where they are already trapping in north Georgia, small farms and small woodlots and planted pines. Where most of the trapping takes place in north Georgia I doubt there are many folks running coon hounds and I would bet the population of coons is rather healthier than where folks are running dogs.

With the lack of market for southern coons I don't imagine many folks would target them up there, however, for a kid learning to trap coons are great. When I was growing up in south Ga I learned to trap by trapping coons and possums, they were our muskrats if you wanted to learn to trap in south Ga. I imagine it would be hard for a kid to get into trapping unless he/she had access to some muskrats in north Ga without being able to trap coons.

Flaustin1
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
My point exactly REDNECK BILLCOLLECTOR. Very well put. I wouldnt neccessarily target coons if we had a season but when i caught one Id skin it. Sure i would set a few traps once or twice a year to catch coon but i sure wouldnt hurt the population. And as far as gettin youngsters involved in the sport, i cant think of a better critter to trap.