stars and no stars, what gives??????

cfbutler31

i have been looking at some pictures that were taken on the moon, when them fellars were up there, no stars in the sky at all, no matter what direction the photo is taken, yet when i look up through our atmosphere, which i would think would inhibit viewing a hair, every night, seems to be billions of them, anybody got an idea on this one:biggrin2: :crazy:

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is the NASA explaination.
Why can't you see the stars in the photographs on the moon?

There's really no different between the sky on the Moon and the sky during day time on Earth. The fact that the sky on Earth is blue because of the atmosphere and it is black on the Moon makes no difference. You cannot see stars during the day.

The lunar surface is very bright. Brighter than the brightest day in the hottest part of the world. This is obvious when you think about it. There are no atmosphere or clouds on the moon. In comparison to this bright surface, the stars are very dim.

It is very difficult to get a photograph of a very dim object and a very bright object at the same time. If you set the camera to take a photograph of the bright object (using a fast exposure) you won't capture the dim object at all. If you set the camera to take a picture of the dim objects, then the bright objects will appear as very fuzzy and over-exposed blobs.

The cameras and films the Apollo missions took with them were also designed to photograph activities on the moon's surface. They were not designed to take photographs of the stars. It doesn't mean the stars weren't there, just that the photographs did not capture them. The exposures were set to work with the brightly light surface and astronauts.

GeauxLSU

The answer is obvious.

Because we didn't really land on the moon. It was all faked in hollywood. ::ke:

cfbutler31

them boys were up there for more than 21 hours, did the moon rotate on around to the dark side of the moon, one of my favorite albums by the way, and then the bright moon would have been black, cause it would be facing away, and then them ole boys would have to bring out the lanterns and such to see and take some more of them pictures with no stars using flashes????

marknga

GONetwork Member
cfbutler31 said:
them boys were up there for more than 21 hours, did the moon rotate on around to the dark side of the moon, one of my favorite albums by the way, and then the bright moon would have been black, cause it would be facing away, and then them ole boys would have to bring out the lanterns and such to see and take some more of them pictures with no stars using flashes????

We always see the same side of the moon and there is no "dark side" check out this link:

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/Academy/UNIVERSE/MOON.HTML

Mark

Oldstick

Yes, the same side of the moon always faces toward the Earth. You can see the near side goes through light and dark cycles every month with the changing moon cycles. Full moon = the whole earth side is in broad daylight. They had to land on the near side in order to have radio comm back home. It had to be daylight in their location to get the work done. If they had stayed up their a whole month we could have seen photos of true night darkness. The reason the daylight sky looks black in the photos is because of no atmosphere to scatter and filter the incoming sun rays. Thats what makes our day sky appear blue, sunlight scattering throughout the atmosphere. On the moon, you see a very bright (and hot) white light looking directly toward the sun, but black everywhere else in the sky. Kind of like turning on very powerful floodlight on a dark night. You can turn the other away and see the dark sky but hard to pick up any faint stars.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
No. GA. Mt. Man said:
It is very difficult to get a photograph of a very dim object and a very bright object at the same time.

So are you saying that you and Branch can not be photographed together??? ::ke: :offtopic:

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Flash said:
So are you saying that you and Branch can not be photographed together??? ::ke: :offtopic:
Exactly.