backpack fishing

jperry34

hey guys im leaving in about a month for a backcountry fishing trip in new zealand and my old hiking pack broke on me a little while ago. Im looking for a new one to hold all my fly gear and waders and was looking for some suggestions on some good ones. Any help?

DFB

I have an old Jansport exterior frame back pack that I used 15 years ago when I was a Boy Scout leader, IMHO that was the best pack you could buy at the time. You could load more in and on that pack than you'd probably want to carry for a long distance. I carried 80# over Blood Mountain on the AT once on a December hike, the pack held up better than I did. It has a waist belt that distributes the pack weight more on to your hips taking a lot of weight off your shoulders. The pack weight was light so you could carry more of the stuff that you needed instead of giving up cargo weigt for pack weight. The rule of thumb that we always used was not to go over 25% of your body weight for the loaded pack, I guess if you're in good shape you could add a little more to that. I still have my Jansport so I'm not up to date with what's new, you could check at REI or any of the sporting goods shops in your area to see what is available and what they would suggest. Remember what goes in has to come back out "leave it better than you found it".

TurkeyH90

LL Bean

LL Bean has a nice reasonably priced fishing backpack that works fine if you are somewhat of a minimalist.

Win1917

On a big trip like that I would probably bring waders too but when I used to do a lot of backpack fishing I never brought waders unless it was really necessary. Unless the water is especially cold or deep wading for long periods wet wading is pretty nice.

Huntervationist