Flock Question

JCASH

Hello. I Really Enjoy All The Forums. This Is My First Thread. My Question: Should Hens And Toms Be Flocked Together This Time Of The Year. In Years Past On Our Property I Have Seen Big Flocks Of Hens And Toms Together While Deer Hunting. This Year I Have Seen A Group Of 5-6 Mature Long Beards Together, But No Hens? We Have Heard Groups Of Coyotes Running And Yelping At Nights. Is It Possible That The Coyotes Have Gotten Alot Of The Hens Or Could The Birds Be In Different Groups?

Randy

This time of the year you should not see hens with toms. Toms get together in their bachelor groups and hens in their hen groups. You may see a jake still hanging around the hens but not likely.

duck-n-deer

When our turkey numbers were lower i saw the hens and toms in different flocks but over the last 5 years or so i've been seeing them stay together. Last saturday saw 2 toms in full strut with a group of 20 hens. So i guess i would say that it's typical to see either this time of year.

beginnersluck

Just this weekend I saw 2 toms and a jake with 9 hens. I've seen 14 gobblers all together with no hens earlier in Nov. Guess it's just whichever they prefer to hang around with! ::huh: