Zone 5 gators

Bird Slayer

I posted this in the bowfishing forum too.

Well, me and my dad finally put a couple of swamp lizards in the boat last night. This was my 3rd time goin and his 4th time. I had already shot at a 12 1/2 footer earlier in the season but he was facing me and im pretty sure the arrow deflected. Then gator number 2 came up the next trip about 11 foot and my arrow fell of the rest so it shot about 3 foot off. Well, not this time.

Daddy said he was gonna shoot 1st this time since i had already had my chance. Well at about 8:45 we came up on one that Frog said to be around 8-9 foot. Daddy was wantin one 10 plus so he asked me if i wanted to shoot. I told him if he didnt i was puttin him in the boat. Well we chased him for a few hundred yards and finally got about 15 yards when i turned the laser on and drawed back my bow. I held it perfectly steady, but as we closed the distance to 10 yards and Frog said shoot my laser was all over the river and my heart was about to come out my chest. He wafacing straight awya and swimming and I let the arrow fly and it hit him right in his side. The bouy shot of like a rocket and cameraman Clint Shipman hollered "Fish On!". We followed the bouy to the gator and harpooned him and finished him off with the 44 mag. It took about 5 minutes to get him in the boat and by 9 he was mine.

At around 11:00 daddy stuck his with what looked to be a 10 foot plus due to the size of his head. He hit the gator in his front foot on his bird finger. He came out the water snappin but we got him. They looked to be identical in length and weight when we go em both on the boat. You aint never seen a gator do anything like this one. When we harpooned him he went around the boat and the rope attached to him got hung on the key to the boat and he crunk up the boat. I guess he was tellin us we just needed to leave

Mine ended up being 8' 11 1/2" and daddys was 8' 11". We knew they were close in size but not that close. Half an inch difference. We didnt weigh them we figure they were around 275 -300 lbs.