New rod

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Going with a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series Fly Rod. I'm thinking 8'6" 5 wt or 8' 4 wt (both 4 piece rods). This is for fishing anywhere from the hooch in Atlanta to real skinny water in North GA. I'm leaning 8' 4wt. I do occasionally throw a larger weighed streamer in the hooch but that is not my favorite fishing.

My previous scientific anglers rod had a run in with the tool box lid. It was a 9' 5wt 2 piece.

Opinions?

WinMag.300

cant go wrong...

with a TFO.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
with a TFO.

I'm more wondering about length. Just worried about the 8' 4 wt. in bigger water might be a bit light. Whats the biggest fly you will throw with a 4wt?

centerpin fan

I have two TFO Pro rods, a 7wt and a 9wt. I like 'em both, but you could also consider the TFO Finesse series. For what you're talking about, you might prefer their softer action.

WinMag.300

wt

4wt should be fine. I often use my 4wt for the cherokee trophy section. I throw double nymph rigs and dry droppers and even small streamers no problem. I use my 5 wt when Im throwing HEAVY double nymph rigs because it makes casting them easier.

Dean

Tfo

nice rod, great warranty....I would be inclined to go with the 8' 6" ...the extra 6" on the 5wt will insure you can fish almost any trout water in almost any conditions (wind for example) with some success. Although you may never do it, the 8' 6" is a better float (boat or pontoon) rod......my .02.

The 4wt 8' could be limiting one day.......

MadDawg51

The TFO Lefty Kreh series has been good to me. And TFO stands behind their rods. Picking a rod to do two things is always a compromise. The Hooch needs a bit more distance on the cast. N. GA skinny water will punish you for a long rod. For a 5 wt rod, I would be looking for at least 9 feet. I think the short 4 wt would be good for the mountains. But, I'd want more length for the Hooch.

Tough choice.

yaknfish

A TFO Pro, 9' 4wt is currently my favorite. Dries, buggers, poppers, throws 'em all.

TurkeyH90

Flyrod

I would NOT buy the Finesse if you are only going to have one flyrod. It is a nice rod but is only suited to throwing dries. That being said I am against a man having only one flyrod, Im up to about 14 myself. Seriously though, either rod will probably work in most conditions.

DFB

I hate it when car doors, house doors and tool box lids get hungry, but why only one? I find that fly rods are like a Lays potato chips, you can't just stop at one.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My wife wants to start fly fishing with me so I am going to give her my old reliable five weight and buy the TFO pro in a 5wt.I don't fish for trout but do alot of warm water fishing and the five handles the large mouths as well as the shoalies and big brim. I am considering a bug launcher for brim but got to slip that one in. If rod manufactures would just make all rods the same color it would defienetly help confuse those who keep count.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man, you've got to learn the "borrowed" rod scenario. Anytime there's a question from the counters about a new rod, all you say is, "I borrowed that one from Steve".

WinMag.300

Dfb:

You make an excellent reference with the rods and lays:smash: I am still working on my collection but everytime I find another piece to add to my aresenal my wife is like dont you have three just like that....NO! No I don't lol, "those were STEVES." Once you get the bug or addiction whichever you end up calling it you will need an essential fly rod "kit" to begin your collection. 3wt, 5wt, 8wt...and build and fill in the gaps from there. You will need 9' 7' 8'6" 7'6" 6'6" etc... each design will be a tool in you angling arsenal.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Yeah I see at least 2 in my future. Always did mostly open water fishing so the 9' 5wt was perfect for me but I'd like to get into the skinny water this year. Still haven't made it to the store. Going after some snapper this weekend in the gulf, would need something a little bit bigger than a 5wt.

B

breampole

I have a 6 wt 9' TFO its a great rod. Not sure about what I would buy. I have a 6' 4 wt I like also. Its a Cabela's rod. Me I'd probably go with the 8' 4 wt and have a 5wt line ready to put on it when I was going somewhere and needed the distance with heavier flys or streamers. I've not found the wt designation to be so exact that you can't go up a weight or you might try the SA line that is a half weight heavier for a compromise. I forget what the name for that line series is but it is popular. I have it (4 wt) on my 6' rod and I cast all kind of heavy stuff, but then I am using it on ponds and will use it on skinny black water flows ( haven't been on them since getting the line cause the ones nearby are 'bout dried up.) and not trying to make long casts--30' maybe 35' be longest and most shorter than that.

fishinbub

I'd buy a 8' 6" 5wt TFO, then get a cheap short rod. Eagle Claw Featherlights are pretty good (about $20) glass rods that make great small stream rods. They come in 6' 6" and 8'.

EAVAngler

I have a 8'6" 4wt tfo signature rod that I like a lot. I am just getting into fly/trout fishing myself. I'm mostly going to fish the hootch but did try to fish the chatooga river today with not much such success. My previous fly experience was fishing in Wyoming on a family vacation using a pfluger blister pack 5/6wt rod throwing heavy weighted buffers. I'm wondering if I can use my trouble and some of those buggers or would I be better off with a bigger rod? How do you know when your rod just isn't enough for the kind of fishing your doing? There are so many options...

Thanks all, and sorry for kind of hijacking this thread but thought it was a good place to ask a rod question.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Bought an 8 foot TFO pro series and HCI reel today and some 4 wt DT line. Also picked up a cheap 8 6" 5 wt to pair up with my existing reel for a backup/loaner. Can't wait to take them to the water. I was out inside the perimeter on the hooch yesterday and was killing them with a white rooster tail and couldnt stand not having a fly rod any longer. Thanks for all the advice!