Leatherwork

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This is another hobby I do a little of, out of necessity, not because I like to do it so much.
This is a knife sheath I made for a friend of mine out of the tops of an old pair of Chippewa snake boots and elk leather. It is an early 1800s style sheath that I copied from a photo of an original knife sheath from the Museum of the Fur Trade.

Attachments

• MVC-131F.JPG
    MVC-131F.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 535

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Good looking work my dad used to have alot of woodworking tools, I remember going down to Tandy Leather Company all the time.

Handgunner

Nice lookin' work, Nick!

bam_bam

your a man of many talents. good lookin stuff

dutchman

Branchminnow said:
Good looking work my dad used to have alot of woodworking tools, I remember going down to Tandy Leather Company all the time.

And just exactly do woodworking tools have to do with Tandy Leather Company and leatherwork in general?::ke:

I used to fool with that stuff all the time, Nick. Got into it when I was in the Scouts as a boy. Daddy still has all the LEATHERWORKING tools (Swivel knives, letter stamps, and other stamps he bought during that time). Used to make all kinds of stuff.

Branch is right about one thing. You do good work.

Last edited:

Branchminnow

dutchman said:
And just exactly do woodworking tools have to do with Tandy Leather Company and leatherwork in general?::ke:

I used to fool with that stuff all the time, Nick. Got into it when I was in the Scouts as a boy. Daddy still has all the LEATHERWORKING tools (Swivel knives, letter stamps, and other stamps he bought during that time. Used to make all kinds of stuff.

Branch is right about one thing. You do good work.
UUUUUUUUHHHHH well you gotta have woodworking tools to make the handles of the pistol's that are made with wood so you can make a holster out of leather fo them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks ya`ll. Actually the only leather workin` tools I have are a pair of scissors a blacksmith made for me, a saddlemakers punch, and a razor sharp knife.

Branchminnow

BTW is that you in the avatar?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea Branch, I`m afraid so. I wasn`t made to fit in no
town. :D

Branchminnow

Well did you make the buckskins? Ifn you did then I want to learn!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep, I made everything I`m wearin` in that picture but my hat. The shirt is 3 full deerskins, 1 each for front and back, and 1 for the sleeves, lacin`, and fringe. 48 hours total work and that includes the beadwork on the shoulders.
1 elkskin for the leggins, breechclout, and Plains style side seam moccasins. About 5 hours work in these.
1 deerskin for the shootin` pouch, possibles bag, and flint and steel fire pouch. About 5 more hours in these as well.

I didn`t use any store bought patterns. I just kinda made em to fit and used a lot of guesswork. And after walkin` through 4 pairs of deer and elkskin moccasins real quick, I started makin` them out of mooseskin. It`s a lot thicker, tougher too.
Feel free to holler if I can help you in any way.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m not sure Coon Hunter, but after I saw a buckskin shirt at a rondyvoos that an Indian Lady made with a price tag of $600.00 dollars on it, I decided I would make my own!

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Hhhhmmmm, need a new supply of leather, Nic?!?! :D