Ever had one come at you?

lbzdually

Banned
My dad's cousin and I were stalking around at night and we went up to the pecan orchard. We got all the way over to the East side and the orchard and saw a hog in the moonlight. I flipped on my light and Wayne cracked off a shot. The hog took off like it wasn't even hit. We went to check for blood and nothing. Well Wayne swears he hit the hog, so we get on the fourwheelers and start circling. After a few minutes, Wayne finds the hog not 30 yards from us. the hog had made a big loop and was coming right back for us, but ran out of gas and piled up. This was a monster hog too, 300+lbs easy. Have any of you ever had a hog come to get you?

Last edited:

chevy85

hogs turn on u.

yes. I was standing in an old road bed shot to far up on the shoulder. He turn an ran stright at me. I shot agian he was 15 yards when it hit the ground.

Last edited:

seaweaver

I walked outside one am to say good morning to the dogs and had 3hogs knock them out of the way to come grovel at my feet.
I fixed the fence really good after that!
Never have had any charge me, thought one was going to one time. she had 2 shots in her and when she broke right instead of at me I hit her again and she was down.

cw

cathooker

Fort Stewart 1976 : I stalked to within 20 yards of three hogs feeding in a food plot. I was shooting a recurve bow and had no gun with me. I eased up out of the tall grass and shot the closest one just behind the shoulder. The arrow did not pass all the way through and the broadhead was sticking out of him about six inches. I had teeth and a very sharp broadhead to worry about. He squealed really loud and started running in circles as if trying to bite the arrow. I moved to try to get another shot and he saw me. He immediately charged me. I took off running, jumped up and grabbed a limb and pulled my legs up just as he got to me. He missed me but it was a close call....that episode was almost as exciting as flying door gunner on a helicopter in combat zone.

Gabassmaster

had my dad get attacked by one at macintosh reserve in carrollton a few years back, he was in the newspaper for it...it was pretty funny

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a big boar that I had been stalking when it went into the brush wind me and come directly toward me popping his teeth. I was standing in a bushhogged trail and he was in thick palmettos so I couldn't see the hog, just see the bushes shaking and hear teeth popping about ten feet away. I had nothing but a longbow. I gave him the palmetto thicket.

lbzdually

Banned
I was stalking around during bow season and also had a S&W .44 on my hip just in case. Well I had a camo net over the holster and I walked up on 3 hogs feeding. Just as I was about to draw the bow they came right at me. I dropped the bow down and tried to get the .44, but couldn't because of the net. They ran within 5 yards and turned at the last minute. I ended up popping one about an hour after dark with that .44 at 50 yards one handed holding a flashlight with the other.

3d foam killer

in taylor county i shot one qith the 308 head on at 225 yards i missed the mark a little and he ran all 223 of those yards before falling!

boiladawg78

Yep, last Sunday. Shot a sow at about 80 yards and hogs exploded everywhere! There was about 10 or so with her; I could see only her and 2 others before I shot. A small boar was running in my direction down the creek. When he saw me he made a bee-line for me. I finally got a clear shot at about 10 yards. The 7mag dropped him and he slid 6' from me. Needless to say, my heart was pounding!

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Twice.
Both wounded. A sow that got within 2 feet of me before i could shoot her between the eyes and a small boar with a busted up rear section. Bought me a pistol after the sow got so close.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Wild ones, never. Tame ones, all the time. :D

Jester896

Senior Clown
the hog had made a big loop and was coming right back for us, but ran out of gas and piled up.

i have seen something similar in fields at night. They seem to try and run in a big circle to get where they came from instead of turning around and going straight back in more like deer do.

dm/wolfskin

I've had a couple run by with an arrow sticking in them but not really coming after me. Just getting out of Dodge. Mike

Tennessee Buck

I had a big sow with a litter come by me one time at cohutta It was a good walk to the truck so I thought well just shoot one of the little ones well I smoked this baby about 40 lbs and she turned around and charged me. all the trees were 2 big or 2 little to climb . There was this one tree but about 50 yards away so off I ran when I got to the tree I jumped about 5 feet to grab this one limb she almost got me. after she left I was still shaking and she laid up and waited for me and charged ! after treeing me again she walked all over my bow bent my arrows and broke my sight my hunt was over. the lesson I learned was never go to cohutta by your self. this was 26 years ago.

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
I've often thought about that sneaking around a WMA with just a one shot muzzle loader. I would have to stand my ground, cause' I'm too old to run.