870 Gobbler

Turkeydoghunter

now gobblers roost is cabin in the middle of the woods ....its a small piece of heaven on earth......ive been lucky enough to meet the owner Ron Meek .......now this place lives up to it name and the last two years ive killed a nice fall long beard hunting with my dogs junior and dixie lou..i kept a pup from the last litter his name is curly .......i had my young cousin Brad with me earlier that day he took his first turkey ......so we decided to go after the long beards that Mr meek had located ....Ron had to go to family gathering so Brad and I set out after the gobblers Ron said he saw 20 of them....after about 40 mins the dogs started barking and i saw a large turkey run by about 80 yard up the hill....then brad saw one and said he had a big red head ....even my little pup curly at 5 months old ran one by barking like crazy.....well brad and i set up and called for about 3 hours till dark and didnt hear any turkeys but about a thousand geese were honking in the field...there was a small gully stream and i figured that the birds were mostly on the other side, so we went back to meet Ron Meek and his wife for dinner that night we talked about the morning hunt ,,,in the fall if birds are broke up before dark they might not regroup till morning.....ron had all these box calls all around the cabin and there was one that sounded like a gobbler raspy yelps deep hollow sounding clucks...most important of all it gobbled great....yes gobbled ....if fall bird gobbles i can usually call it in by gobbliing back at it...the call was Ron old 870 lohman Box ....ron said it hadnt been used in years , i asked him if i could take it out that morning and he said sure.....well it sure was dark that morning due to a new moon , but i got us to the spot that brad and i sat the afternoon before....i gave a few light yelps on my trumpet....and got no answer i told ron and brad that we need to get on the other side of the stream.....the minute we got on the otherside of that gully creek we were greeted by a thunderous gobble!!!we set up fast day light was cracking....i soon herd the birds flying out of the roost they all were gobbling and yelping.... i yelped on that old 870 and a bird hammered back gobbling... so gobbled back then he yelped so i yelped soon they were closer ....then i saw his but comming up the hollow to me he was now clucking ....so i clucked two times and set the call down ....soon up popped his head, i took him at 25 yards!!! what a hunt the old 870 box did the trick and i got my gobbler .....

Attachments

• 2010 fall 13.jpg
    2010 fall 13.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Nitro

Banned
Awesome. Look at all the little Brown dogs.

Some folks truly have it made. (You Sir, are in that category).

Gadget

Looks like your having a great Fall season Ron! , need to leave some seed for those easy spring gobblers........:D