I see them now, but not in season

georgia_home

Ok, background... I am mostly a newbie... Been chasing turkey for about 3 years with no success.

For the 3rd year running, I have stalked up to within 20 yards of a flock of turkey, including hens toms and what I believe to be this years polts. That's pretty cool.

The problem is, I only seem to find them during deer season!!!! :(

Come turkey season, hunting in all the same places, I never seem to see hide nor feather of them.

I don't call much, as I don't think I am that good. I am just looking for ideas on what may be wrong.

Any helpful / constructive ideas would be appreciated!

Gut_Pile

From what it sounds like to me your property has nothing that appeals to turkeys in the spring. Nesting habitat being number 1. If the hens aren't nesting on your property, the longbeards aren't hanging out there either. Food is a big deal as well. Turkeys like wheat, clover, bugs, nuts, etc. Also do you have big trees that birds can roost in? If they aren't roosting on your property there are two times of the day they are definitely not there.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Yeah, you need better habitat for them in the spring...CRP, thick food plots and wooded areas (for nesting areas, food...etc.). If you have a good deer population you usually have a good turkey population i.e. land management for deer usually keeps turkey as well. Plant some chufa food plots in the spring as well and keep some feeders running year round. Anything you can think of to help them stay on your land or at least think about stopping by in the spring. That's just my 2 cents worth...I'm no biologist. Good luck! :)

georgia_home

well gut, i was kinda thinking about what you said... i guess i am set for fall turkey food, and maybe not so much for spring. i have nuts, in the fall, the deer and hogs put a hurtin' on them.

i have plenty of trees to roost in. minimal food plots, no cereal and some grass that is mostly wild.

occasionally i hear them in the trees.

thanks for the thought!!! i tried a food plot this year, first time. i'll see about getting it in earlier this year, to maybe benefit the turkey.

georgia_home

thanks to ricochet... i'll keep that in mind.

Ricochet

thanks to ricochet... i'll keep that in mind.

No problem...plant some chufa and clover food plots that would be the first thing I would try. Also, they like cracked corn from feeders.

BERN

X2 on the clover. It has substantially improved the spring action around my plot. Do you have a creek running through your land?

The most important thing is to keep trying. I know lots of people that didn't kill a bird for their first 5 seasons or more. I killed my first one on my 4th season.

The key is to enjoy the hunting for its own sake. Turkeys are not a wholly goal oriented activity IMO.

georgia_home

I hear ya Bern. I do enjoy. Itz about the escape.

I does make ya wonder though, how to improve things.

I can maybe work in clover this year. I have water/creek. Maybe just better / more food plot will help.

Thanks!!!