Any suggestions

bleat

Anyone have any suggestions of smaller streams to take a 6 year old to for their first time. I was thinking maybe Smith creek. Smaller and pretty easy access.

Just wondering some other thoughts.

WinMag.300

streams

most streams closed Sunday and only yearround or DH waters are still open for trout fishing. Delayed harvest is artificial only and LowerSmith Creek is a DH water...for a first timer lower smiths can be frustrating because of the foilage etc catching back casts. DH waters are great for beginners to learn on though and Paces Mill on the Hooch off of Cobb PKWY would be a better choice IMHO for a kid to learn fly fishing.

overbrook

Where ever you take them .....take a few soft hackles...let em' swing em' out in the current and hold em' out there.....easiest way for a kid to catch a fish IMHO. And don't forget the camera! :biggrin3:

Pittard

Tallulah River is a year round stream and I would call it medium in size. That's where my dad has taken me since I was about 3 months old. I have pictures of my mom carrying me around in one of those back-pack things.

I'm not sure how many numbers of fish you would encounter at the moment. I have been told that fishing in the fall/winter on Tallulah is decent but I don't have any first hand experience with that.

Good luck wherever you decide to go.

Jimmy Harris

Take him to the section of Moccasin Creek between Burton Hatchery and Lake Burton. It's open year round to anglers under 12 (& over 65). The Tallulah would also be a great choice.

DFB

At last

Take him to the section of Moccasin Creek between Burton Hatchery and Lake Burton. It's open year round to anglers under 12 (& over 65). The Tallulah would also be a great choice.

I knew there had to something that I was waiting to be 65 for! Thanks for the information, now all I need is the time to go.

Chuck C

How about Dukes? I've heard it's an easy stream to catch fish on? J/K. Listen to Jimmy he's spot on.

HAHAHA!

Dukes Creek for a 6 yr old; NOT!

Most people have a hard time catching fish there consistently, a 6yr old would probably be miserable! There is a good deal of wading involved. My son has done OK on Dukes but we're not talking about your average 6yr old fisherman. He has also had some miserable trips; no fish, falling in, broken rod, etc.

Moccasin Creek, the way to go.

My son has been fly fishing since he was 4 and is pretty good but he is still about catching and not so much fishing!

35306_1328361809734_1251615746_30738755_8108338_n.jpg

I have caught plenty right there in downtown helen. Fish around the bridges with crickets or rooster tails. I caught one five pound rainbow and one four pound rainbow down there. Catch several 10 to 12 inch fish.

Chuck C

I have caught plenty right there in downtown helen. Fish around the bridges with crickets or rooster tails. I caught one five pound rainbow and one four pound rainbow down there. Catch several 10 to 12 inch fish.

+1

Especially this time of year.

Chuck C

First good trout on a fly rod, Moccasin Creek, 4 yrs old!

149755_167887226563393_100000263505952_483558_2336074_n.jpg

Pittard

HAHAHA!

Dukes Creek for a 6 yr old; NOT!

Most people have a hard time catching fish there consistently, a 6yr old would probably be miserable! There is a good deal of wading involved. My son has done OK on Dukes but we're not talking about your average 6yr old fisherman. He has also had some miserable trips; no fish, falling in, broken rod, etc.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke

How about Dukes? I've heard it's an easy stream to catch fish on? J/K. Listen to Jimmy he's spot on.