Tribute to John May, a father and 1st President of the Atlanta Chapter of N.W.T.F.

TurkeyManiac

This was written by our friend Richard Dickson. In part, will be published in a future Turkey Call magazine.
I wanted to share this with you guys because Dad gave a lot to Turkeys and the Federation over the years.

John May 1942 – 2010
A tribute to a friend by Richard Dickson

The National Wild Turkey Federation along with the many sportsmen and women who knew John May have lost a good friend. John left us on October 20, 2010.

Contributions to the NWTF
I met John in 1983 when he was organizing the Atlanta Chapter of the NWTF. He was very dedicated to conservation and spoke often and passionately about our mission of giving back to the resource that we all loved so dearly.

John’s early organizing efforts included hosting monthly chapter meetings bringing dedicated sportsmen together. These meetings focused on teaching members how to hunt the elusive wild turkey. He recruited such legends as Roscoe Reams, Doug Camp, Dick Kirby and others to be speakers and to demonstrate how it was done. John and his committee attended many sportsmen shows and other gatherings to promote the NWTF’s mission and to recruit new members.

Shortly after establishing the Atlanta Chapter John was approached by the NWTF about organizing and hosting the very first NWTF fund raising banquet. He agreed and created a committee, which I was honored to be a part of, to come together and get this pioneering fund raising effort off the ground. The banquet was a big success, held at The Peachtree World of Tennis center in October 1983. The entire full time staff of the NWTF, five men and five women were present. It established the model from which thousands of NWTF banquets have followed.

His work with the federation included being the first president of the Atlanta Chapter from 1983- 1985, Then went on to the Georgia State Board and was also president for two years. While John was president of the State chapter, Atlanta was designated to be the host city of the 1988 NWTF national convention. The convention was very successful and helped shape the direction for future national conventions.

John has received many awards and recognitions from the NWTF and should also be credited with building teams which contributed many innovations and ideas used for the continued growth of the NWTF. Such creativity as the decorated stage now commonly used in calling contests was presented in Atlanta by John and his friends Jerry Wilson and Ricky Bramblett.

John continued to demonstrate leadership and forge cohesive relationships throughout the Atlanta chapter, State Chapter of Georgia and through the NWTF.

Personal Background
John was born February 18, 1942. in Ohio. He graduated from Newark Catholic High School and attended Ohio State University. John proudly served in the US Navy. He moved to Atlanta in 1970 where he met his future bride, Diane Gloria May and was married in 1975. They enjoyed 35 years of married life together. John had a successful career as owner of The Engineering Group which provided employment placement for countless engineers. John is survived by his wife Diane May and son Jason May.

Services
There will be a memorial service for John near his home at 1:00 PM on November 20, 2010.at the Warthen Community Center, 95 Bethlehem Church Road, Highway 102 Warthen, Georgia
Directions:
From Atlanta take I-20 to the Siloam Exit (Hwy 77 Siloam/Union Point)
Turn right off the exit ramp (South)
Go to Highway 15 and Turn Left
Stay on Highway 15 through Sparta, GA
Continue on Highway 15 to Warthen, GA
Turn Left onto Highway 102
The Community Center is on Highway 102 next to two churches

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 441

Huntinfool

Great tribute man. Sorry for the loss. Lots of great memories in your lifetime with him. For that, I think we're all greatful.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A tip of the hat... :cheers:

Jody Hawk

Great tribute. Thanks to him and others like him for all they did to bring the wild turkey back to where they are today. :clap:
Sorry you lost your Dad so soon, I'm sure he'll still be with you on many spring hunts.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
What a fine tribute. I am very sorry for your loss. Your video from Fathers Day really touched me. Hold on to all of the wonderful memories and cherish them.

Gut_Pile

Great tribute. Sorry about your loss. Your dad was a fine man who did wonders for the NWTF.

Nitro

Banned
Jason,

Great tribute.

One thing your Dad did well was be a great husband and father to his sons...

The great job he did as a father is apparent every time I read one of your posts.

Jason, may God hold you and your Mom close during your time of mourning and during the celebration of his life. We will be thinking of you.

nhancedsvt

Banned
Great tribute. He was a good one for sure. Jason, I'm still praying for y'all man.

WbyMan

Great tribute. Thanks to him and others like him for all they did to bring the wild turkey back to where they are today. :clap:
Sorry you lost your Dad so soon, I'm sure he'll still be with you on many spring hunts.

May God bless your family at this tough time. Thanks for sharing your dad with us.

Bubbaforsure

May our Precious Lord and Savior comfort you during this difficult time...God Bless...

Bram

Prayers go out to you and your family in your time of need..God Bless You All::;

Gerry

boparks

Jason

I'm sad to hear about your dad.

It is great that he is remembered in such a great way by so many people.

Because of what he's done you have to know he will not be forgotten.

I'm really am sorry for your loss buddy

Bobby

trkyburns

This is a great tribute. It sounds like your dad was a great man and we should all be grateful for the things he did for the NWTF and for us. May his legacy live on through you and all of us who chase the wild turkey. I am sorry for your loss. God bless. Kevin

gottabowhunt

May God Bless your family, sorry for your lost. Your Dads legacy will live forever for all he's done.