New Rifle

HuntinMan

I am thinking about buying a Remington 300 ultra mag for elk and bear hunting. All pros and cons would be welcome. Also looking at a Leupole scope, 4X14X50. :speechles

H

HT2

Huntin.....

Man, I don't know anything about the gun, but it sounds like a "SWEET" set-up!!!!!!!!! :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Larry Rooks

It'll get the job done for sure, BUT, do you need that mcuh gun???? Some of the short mags will do plenty with a whole lot less recoil and fuss, like the 300 WSM, real sweet at about 1/2 the recoil. Either one will work

CAL

Huntman,
Have a close friend that shoots a 300 ultra.He brought it up to my range and shot it some last year.I have a shooting bench set up under the back of my shop for shooting in rough weather.While standing behind him when he shot the following happened!When he pulled the trigger the concushion at the rear blew my hat off,killed every spider under the shed,and swept the leaves some 30 feet in front.
I reload for him and it takes from 84 to 94 grains of powder for each loaded shell.To me that is too much of a good thing.That is unless ya facing a mad grizzly and it looks sorta small then!!!Good luck with what you decide to do!

stumpman

Banned
if you go with the leupold get the 3.5-10x50 not the 4-14 ive had both and the 3.5 will let you see later at dusk.

bevills1

Totally agree with Cal and Larry Rooks. A 300 WSM would be more than adequate with much less recoil not to mention increased ammo cost for the ultra mag., and even the 30-06 would be adequate with the excellent Barnes X bullet which is available from PMC if you don't reload.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Ultramag aka Jerry has a custom built 300 Ultramag topped with a Swarovski that is super sweet. He's taken several 160 class bruisers with it over the last couple of years all the way out to around 500 yards and just got a 145 class 10-pointer with it last week in MO. He shot the 10 pointer last week from a Double Bull blind and when he shot the top of the blind caved in on his head because of the suction from the rifle. It was like it sucked all the air out of the blind and not only did it happen just once it happened twice because he just grazed the buck's back on the first shot. He had to push the top back up on the blind before he could get off the second killing shot.

Btw, it has also been known to take out 1-gal. milk jugs at 900 yards... :bounce:

I'd post pic's of the 10-pointer showing the graze and all, though My puter want allow me to for some reason since I installed some pop-up stopper software.

huntfish

Although the Ultramags got alot of attention, reality finds it way back to the world after the trigger is pulled. A lot of friends who bought a 300 UM had to tame that sucker down with a better recoil pad, and porting the barrel. Now porting a barrel does reduce recoil it increases the sound and hearign protection is definitely a requirement.

On the other hand, wait till after the season is over and you should find UM available for sale by the "BIG MEN" :p

quak shot

I've got a Sako 75 in 300 um that shoots around .5 inches @ 100yds. I have shot elk, deer, antelope, and black bear with it out to 468yds and nothing has moved so far.If you are wanting a long range cartridge with serious down range energy this gun is it, however if you are the least bit sensitive to recoil go with something smaller. Handloading and a good scope (leupold or Swarovski) will give you a 500yd gun, now wether or not you are a 500yd shooter is a different story.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
HuntinMan, WSM stands for Winchestor Short Mag.

What's best for elk and/or bear is more a matter of personal preference in my opinion as there are many good calibers to select from.

I'm sure you'll get a varied response from many on the board.

Good luck with your decision.

HuntinMan

Thanks for all the good information. Back when I was teenager there was not near as many choices to be made in rifles or the ammno. Technology is good but it sure does make your choices a lot harder. I wish there was somewhere to go shoot the different makes and models, kinda like a test drive before you buy. Anyway keep the information coming I am open minded and have been looking into the WSM looks promiseing for what I want in an elk and bear gun.

NotaVegetarian

Buy the rifle mount the scope and practice with the ammo you are going to use. I have a 700 in .300 RUM, I love it. it is a great round, plenty of long range power, and shoots very well. I have several .300’s, in all but the short mags. I seem to hunt with my Weatherby in .300 WHBY mag more often. I think because it is a heavier rifle and less felt or perceived recoil. The scope on the .300 WHBY is a 6x20x50, with Warne mounts.

Muygrande

Huntinman, I have the .300 in WSM, Win Mag, Weatherby, and the Ultra Mag. After living here in Montana through a season and seeing what the animals are shot with there's no doubt in my mind that the Ultra is very popular here. The WSM is just what the Doctor ordered for Elk and Black bear.
That's the question I want the answer to, what kind of bear's are you going after??? ::huh: If it's Black bear the WSM is awesome for Elk and Black's.
D2D also had a great suggestion with the .338-06 but ammo is a question then unless you handload. If you're going after Brown/Grizzly I wouldn't be caught dead(Literally :eek: ) without something of 8mm Rem Mag, 323 WSM(Hopefully everyone's heard of this cartridge by now???), 338 Win Mag, or .338 Ultra. :shoot:

RamblinWreck

I was shopping for a rifle with similar requirements. I wanted a 600 yard capable sub-moa 30 cal for an elk/moose/deer rifle to take "out west" (saving up for my first elk trip now). I don't think you ever need anything larger then a 30 cal unless you are talking about brown or white bears, or Africa. The selection of available bullets to load with in .308 is unmatched.

I ended up buying a Win M70 Stainless Classic in .300 WSM, and will probably get a Swarovski scope to top it with. I am currently having the action trued and the barrel replaced with a 26" stainless Pac-Nor medium sporter taper, and after that will be pillar bedding it in a floated McMillan camo stock. Should still be toteable and not too heavy.

I'll have it finished by the summer and will post pics then.

Just got back in Oct from an elk hunt in the Big Horn mts of Wyoming. Let me tell ya you dont want to toat an 11 or 12 pound rifle around the mountains. And the area I was in, black timber, ya aint gonna have a 600 yard shot. A 150 yard shot was a long one. Me and another hunter had an 06 the other two fellas had 300 Weatherbys. Both killed elk. The Weatherby dropped em in his tracks mine ran 100+ yards. My brother in law has a .300 Weatherby he sent it back and got it ported. When he shoots it it sets off car alarms in the parking lot. Personally I think the '06 shooting Federal High energy PREMIUM bullets ie Nosler Partition is about all ya need. But I'm looking hard at a .300 Weatherby or Win Mag or WSM. (I think the WSM is the best) I think the RUM is too much. Look how much powder is still burning when the bullet leaves the barrel and how much killing power do you REALLY gain over the win mag or weatherby? Plus you will be CUSSING that 26" barrel after one day of hunting at 9000'. Just my two cents worth.

HuntinMan

I knew when this started it would come down to what I like. But with all the opinions from hear I am a better informed buyer, and that is a good thing!!!!!!! Thanks for all the input anyone else feel free to give your opinion as well. I will let you know in Jan what I am going to buy. ::huh:

elmerpud

?

Friend don’t let other friend drive drunk or buy 300’s, when you can get a 7 mm :whip:
Personally, I like the 7mm (.284) bullet better than the 30 especially for long range hunting. I may be prejudice but most hunts I know that shoot 300’s can’t hit the board-side-of-a-barn. Don’t know if it’s their lack of marksmanship or what. ::ke: