tom vs hen

Huntinfool

Yep....hens are poisonous. Has something to do with the estrogen.

Dupree

hens are nesting in the spring and we dont have a fall season.

hawglips

Banned
It's a decision the game department makes based on turkey biology. Toms can breed many hens, so they are expendable. Hens raise the poults, and are very vulnerable during nesting, so if the goal is a growing population, protecting hens is a good thing to do.

Hens are very tasty unless they are shot with pixie dust. A population can still grow with a fall season and the shooting of hens.

hawglips

Banned
Hens are especially tasty if shot by pixie dust since none of the shot remains in the meat.

silentK

dang man...you kilt the krap out of that one...:eek:

whats pixie dust...:crazy:..is it like hoochie dust..:crazy:..you know..that glittery lotion type stuff that the girls be wearin now days...:bounce:

hawglips

Banned
Took this jake last week on the Pa fall opener. Id say lead #4's did there job just fine.

Photobucket

Nice job.

Looks like you had to beat him over the head with the gun. That happens a lot with lead 4s....

Huntinfool

Ah....we have another "I'm a better turkey hunter than you" discussion going...and it's only November.

Usually these don't get going until January. It's gonna be a fun year for Arrow3 I see!

Ah....we have another "I'm a better turkey hunter than you" discussion going...and it's only November.

Usually these don't get going until January. It's gonna be a fun year for Arrow3 I see!

I don't see where I said anything like that, huntinfool. Just stating my preferences.

Huntinfool

I know I know....it does sound, however, a little condescending to other turkey hunters, no?

I prefer not to use decoys and blinds as well. But I couldn't care less if someone else does. It doesn't personally offend me like it does some folks.

If I'm honest, I do consider myself a better turkey hunter than someone who sits on a field in a blind all day with a gobbler decoy. I wasn't saying anything necessarily bad about your comment....just pointing out that it's the type of thing we get all hot and bothered about around January/February when all the deer hunters come over here.

hawglips

Banned
why would you want to shoot a hen?

I'd shoot a hen in the fall where they are legal. I've often wondered if I'd get just about as much a thrill out of that as shooting a tom in the spring. If it happens, I'll let you know. I know Ray Eye prefers fall hunting over spring gobbler, and don't mind shooting hens a'tall. I've only been out in the fall after turkeys three or four times (mostly to scout for spring), but I'm going to start doing it more regularly if I can swing it, because I can see how it is a whole lot of fun. (Sure beats the heck out of sitting in a deer stand.) Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but the ones that got in the rush zone were every bit as exciting as a spring gobbler approaching.

No need for that, 'lips. After the shot he didn't have much of a head left.

With your skills, next time you might ought to grab him by the neck when he gets that close. ;)

I'd rather call in and shoot a hen inside 40yds during the fall season then i would kill a gobbler out of a blind over decoys, or shoot one standing 60yds out with #9 shot.

Me too mzler.

But that little, lost, 4 month old jake looking for his mommy -- sure must have taken a lot of calling expertise and expensive calls to coax him in, and a fancy gun to kill him. Poor little feller never had a chance... :(