Baiting hogs

georgia_home

Yes, with a permit for the property in question.

Permits not valid during deer or turkey season.

Dnr issues them, and can be had by phone.

sadler2

Ok I'm sure we can get a permit cuz they r eating his crops up big time...we ran dogs there before and caught over 20 but I wanna shoot one with my bow

georgia_home

Sadler, If I may SUGGEST,

If your hog problem is as big as you say, put down the bow and start killing them. Gun, thermal, dogs. You can probably find plenty of help or teachers if you need it.

When you get the serious killing done, recreational hunting may help keep things in check.

Good luck!!! And if you wanted some help, I am sure a post here asking would get LOTS of responses, and fast!!!

sadler2

We have dogs we got two groups of guys and we run three sets of dogs I just wanna kill a few with a bow they ain't as bad as they were before we got dogs out here but they still there ...dogs are
The only choice out here the gamers daughter lives. In one of the feilds and she don't like guns cuz she said everytime there is a gun shot an animal dies. I think she is one of those anti hunting people but she doesn't have a clue. If she could only see what our dogs to them :rofl:

idsman75

All the hogs I've legally baited have done nuthing but ignore sour corn. However, used cooking grease (about 5 gallons) from a local restaurant draws em in like flies to you-know-what. Give it a shot if you can find a way to do it legally. The nice thing about cooking grease is that you're not actually feeding them. The purpose of the eradication permits is to avoid growing the population by feeding.

CAL

All the hogs I've legally baited have done nuthing but ignore sour corn. However, used cooking grease (about 5 gallons) from a local restaurant draws em in like flies to you-know-what. Give it a shot if you can find a way to do it legally. The nice thing about cooking grease is that you're not actually feeding them. The purpose of the eradication permits is to avoid growing the population by feeding.

Would be curious to know how you use the cooking grease.Do you just pour it on the ground or what?

idsman75

Would be curious to know how you use the cooking grease.Do you just pour it on the ground or what?

Using the method I described, you could pour it on the ground and not mix any corn with it in order to avoid feeding the critters. I mean, how many people here are going to take the time to scoop up the corn if they have an unsuccessful hunt or if they shoot the hogs before all the corn is eaten?

The reason I personally know it works is because I mix it with the corn in my trap on Fort Benning. Nothing drew them in until I started using that method. I've also had them lap it up out of dog bowls in my trap. A friend of mine pours his on the ground in his traps on the land our hunting club leases. Used peanut oil works well but the stuff I get isn't peanut oil.

I'd recommend folks save their oil after they use it in their turkey fryers on Thanksgiving. Use it to bait hogs when they have the proper permit and mix it with bait they put in their traps.

HUNTIN4LIFE

How often do you have to put it out? Does it take a while for the smell to wear off or do you have to keep putting it out regular? I have 5 gallons of peanut oil now but want to do it right.

Big7

The Oracle

Yes.. Pour it on the ground in a shallow, wide hole.
Same way with diesel fuel.

I have heard about the cooking grease from from friends that say it works.

I have done the diesel fuel trick myself..
Had a wallow that you could put a compact car in it.
(no joke)

To bad I don't have access to the land anymore.:banginghe

Latest posts