Gun Safes?

jharrell

I am looking to buy a new gun safe. I have looked at several different ones. Seems to me that Liberty Safes have some of the best fire ratings. Just curious if I could get some input from some of you.

Fro1911nut

Buy bigger then your think you want. Get some sort of lights in it. Dehydration rod.
If i had it to do over again I would go with digital lock, but I'm in mine alot

Fortenberry

temp. rating are good, but also check the fire rating time. In some houses that I have put out the safes content were still fine and others had fallen into the basement and the temp was high and alot of fireload falls on top off it and it takes a while to get that cooled down.

miles58

Banned yankee
The fire rating of a gun safe is no where near that of a commercial class B fireproof. If you can find one of them the right size they are much, much better, and usually cheaper. The down side is that they do tend to be heavy. Way heavier than a gun safe.

Dave

bigreddwon

PM jester.. He sells safes. Master locksmith as well

Jester896

Senior Clown
temp. rating are good, but also check the fire rating time. In some houses that I have put out the safes content were still fine and others had fallen into the basement and the temp was high and alot of fireload falls on top off it and it takes a while to get that cooled down.

this is true...try to pick an outside wall to put it on or other load bearing area is best

The fire rating of a gun safe is no where near that of a commercial class B fireproof. If you can find one of them the right size they are much, much better, and usually cheaper. The down side is that they do tend to be heavy. Way heavier than a gun safe.

Dave

this is true as well...most gun safes are are tested @ 1250 degrees for the respective 30, 45, 60, or 90 minute rating they have. A commercial Class "B" container is tested @ 1700 degrees for the 1 hour or 2 hour time they are rated. There are differences in the liners in the 2 containers as well. Gun safes have a dry type liner in them (Sheetrock) were commercial containers have moisture built into the lining generally to release in a fire and in general release moisture on a regular basis.

jharrell...which Liberty container are you looking at?

Buy bigger then your think you want. Get some sort of lights in it. Dehydration rod.
If i had it to do over again I would go with digital lock, but I'm in mine alot
i didn't mean to leave you out...you are correct too...and if you have a fair to good quality container you can have electronics added to yours as an upgrade

BTW ...most gun safes do not have proper protection for papers and money

Last edited:

seaweaver

A safe man told me that lining a safe w/ fire rated sheet rock is a huge boost to a rating.
cw

ben300win

Look at Cannon safes as they have the best warranty in the business. Also water from putting out the fire is the worst enemy on your guns. I have mine with 2 concrete walls on each side which should help with the fire rating. Always get some kind of dehumidifier for sure.

jharrell

The Liberty Safes looked good but a little pricey. I wound up going with a Browning Medallion.

Cantmuck

wife got me a champion tropy series for christmas and I love it.
very heavy and good fire rating.Franklins in athens made her a sweet deal for cash sale.

Rich M

Cost Co has a nice big one (20-gun I think) for about $600-$800. It is as big as a small meat locker for cows. Wish they had that model when I bought my 16-gun.

You can also look at Sams Club.

Buying it from a gun dealer or such is going to be pricey.

Ihunt

Call Clark Ellard. HE owns SAFEATHOMEUSA.Com He will build you what you want and where you want. It may not be a "pretty" as a production safe but it will be tougher. Clark.Ellard@yahoo.com

Latest posts